Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hemswell

Default Hemswell

Haunting at Hemswell

I was told this story by a work colleague, & have passed it on with his blessing.

Many years ago, he was working at Hemswell, on a hangar that was being used for grain storage.
    The walls of the hangar were starting to bulge because of the weight of the grain, so he was involved with the work to strengthen the building.

My collleague worked with a guy who was a man mountain, & not scared of anything. This chap was up on the scaffold erected in the hangar to effect repair work, by himself, when he heard footsteps walk from one side of the hangar, to the other.
    The sound was of footsteps on the concrete floor of the hangar, no mean feat, when the hangar had grain in it!!

But, then this chap heard a distinctive "HAAA" but as if the person who said it was stood on the scaffold next to him!!

My colleague returned to find the guy outside the hangar, & refusing to go back in by himself!

I dont blame him...

Default RAF Hemswell - MERGED

I'm planning to visit this site on Sunday, it's a 2 pronged visit, the wife likes crafts and myself Airfields so we'll both be happy.
    Can anyone tell me what is left i have O/S plans and it looks virtually complete except for the Runways, is the tower still present ,are there any areas i should visit and is there anyone at the site i'm best to contact first, i've noticed a muesum symbol, anyone know of this,.
    Al ot of questions i know but as i'm travelling from Norwich i want to make sure i get a good explore.
    Thanks

Default Hemswell

When I drove past in May a new access road towards the hangars had been built and a large sign proclaimed 'The Hemswell Business Park' or similar . There didnt appear to be any fencing around the tower or hangars but still should be OK from a distance ? I thought the market had gone now ?

Re the hangars and watch office. Don't know how current the above observations are but the last time I was there, about 6 months ago, it was possible to walk down what was the eastern peritrack past them. It's not fenced off (or wasn't), you can get as far as the T2 then there is a gate with a private - no entry sign on it.

Bits of runway do survive

But these are on private land, requiring permission.

Going east past the airfield is a gym and Chancel and across the road is the officers mess and other bits.

Sunday is probably not ideal for photography as they have a market and car boot sale. I do recommended the cafe though!
    Last edited by NJR; 17-10-2012 at 16:19.

Default Hemswell Footage

Here is some footage of Lancasters taking off from Hemswell on a raid to Germany, this is part of a Documentary " Night Bombers"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cJA_vUs77gE

Default Hemswell (pic)

Yeh I know the quality is poor, but I had to scan the negative to find this out. Anyway:

Default Re: Hemswell (pic)

Ah Hemswell, made famous by the movie Night Bombers!

Default Re: Hemswell (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Ah Hemswell, made famous by the movie Night Bombers!
    Most people are probably aware that the FIDO sequence in the movie was shot at Sturgate, however of great interest to me is that the airfield lighting featured in the Hemswell shots was not Drem Mk.II, but the USAAF BArtow HILV system which was installed there around the end of the War as an experiment.
    A great movie in every respect.

Graham

Default Re: RAF Hemswell - MERGED

Filmed a reunion at Hemswell last month, an annual event with the BBMF Lancaster flying past, very interesting even met two surviving Hemswell Hampden pilots, very rare birds.

If you want to see inside one of the hangars at Hemswell, the one nearest the road is used for a Sunday Market see www.hemswellmarket.co.uk for further information. The Officers Mess is also a Hotel now - and a very good job they have done of keeping the atmosphere and interior intact, but not cheap!

Nicol.

Default Re: RAF Hemswell - MERGED

Found another. Must have been taken at the same time.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information