Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hemswell

Default Re: Traffic Lights Hemswell

Thank's for that Carnaby.I've been promised some pictures of Hemswell,Canberra and Thor days...also a couple of the said lights in operation

Finally something i know about lol, im a traffic signal engineer and i work on the wigwag signals on the end of runways at a few locations, the last i worked on was at raf cranwell, there the same setup as found at fire stations etc.

You had those traffic lights at Alconbury to look at.

SuperMod

Default Re: Hemswell

From the BBC (presumably the replacement for the plant destroyed in the fire):

Hemswell plastics recycling plant officially opened

A plastics reprocessing plant in Lincolnshire, claimed to be the largest of its kind in the world, has been officially opened. In partnership with Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd (CCE), ECO Plastics has built the 15m recycling plant at its site near Gainsborough. The plant sorts and cleans used plastic packaging and turns this into new bottles within six weeks. Thirty jobs have been created with the completion of the new facility.

The project is part of a 10-year joint venture between CCE and ECO Plastics. The Hemswell plant was officially opened by Environment Minister Lord Taylor of Holbeach on Wednesday.

'Next-generation technology'

Simon Baldry, managing director of CCE, said: "Today's opening of this 15m, state-of-the-art facility will transform recycling in this country and ensure that we can achieve our ambition of incorporating 25% recycled PET in our plastic bottles." The plant will enable the UK to process 75,000 tonnes of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) per year, up from 35,000, said CCE. PET is a type of plastic used most commonly used for bottled water and fizzy drinks.

Jonathan Short, managing director of ECO Plastics, said the facility was now the largest of its kind in the world. He said: "[CCE] has provided us with the confidence to invest in the next-generation technology which will be crucial to our industry's future development." CCE estimates the plant will save about 33,5000 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, which is the equivalent of taking 15,715 cars off the road.

Is this building, which is in the middle of the airfield, from the Thor era?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...05252&t=h&z=18

Yes, it's the Surveillance and Inspection Building.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 15-05-2012 at 23:17.

If anyone would have the answer Paul i knew you would, thanks.

No problem Jason.

It's one building I'd really like to see close-up one day, hopefully before it deteriorates any further.
    Although it seems to have been modified slightly from its original state, the other two survivors have been a lot more hacked about.

Good to see some of the original air-con ducting still in place on the roof, but from the great big hole in the wall on the right I'd guess the plant room has been stripped out.

All the best,
    PB

Here's another photo of it:Photo37_37.jpg

Thanks John,

I was using the smaller version of that photo in your book to try to work out the internal bracing and possibly the overhead crane arrangement.

(Yes, there's a Virtual S&I Building under construction... )

All the best,
    PB

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information