Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CORGI Stirling

Default Re: CORGI Stirling

Ahh - ! This bring back memories - ! I've had a soft spot for the Stirling since I learned of its shortcomings which were really due more to the inadequacies of the Air Ministry and Short Bros. My parents bought me the 1/72 scale B.1 /B.111 model by Airfix for Christmas when it came out in about 1968, priced 17/6, way beyond my pocket money at the time - ! But it is still avaliable now, but at the princely sum of 17.50; a bit more within my reach, but I think I'd better get the twenty other models still waiting to be made done first - !

Must admit I don't get the fascination with diecast.

You could commission someone to make the nice 1:72nd Airfix kit for you, and a competent modeller would produce a far better and finer detailed result than a diecast, with better quality finish and markings, a choice of individual aircraft, it would be much lighter, much cheaper, and delivered far more quickly than 12 months!
    To finish to a good display standard from the box (comes with RAF ground kit as well),
    Kit & paint 25 (can be found much cheaper, or kit supplied by you), build 40, total 55 - 65.
    Or you could add detail like a vacform canopy and different decals, or convert to a Mk.V for say 80 total.

Certainly for the Corgi asking price you should be able to get a very finely detailled and nicely finished kit.
    For 211 that one recent Corgi example has sold for, expect a scale rendition of the 1000 bomber raid!

So if anyone wants a decent model of a Stirling, Halifax, Lancaster, Hampden...

I sort of agree with mawganmad, The diecast models from Corgi do look more like toys and a plastic kit can look so much better. I do own two, bought when they were much cheaper, and the one big advantage is their survivability when attach by the Dyson. I still like making kits (I think!) but all my aircraft ones have usually ende up looking like the houeshold equivalent of a Shoeburyness target!
    I doubt if I will buy many more as the price is not right and I am not too fussed about it being an investment.

Interesting point about kit v diecast survivability.
    You are right of course, but I must admit that when I construct a kit I try and build as much 'toughness' into the main structure as possible, though aerials, props, and undercarriage will always remain high risk!
    Having said that my Corgi Boeing 707 (the chrome AA one - that's why I brought it) now looks like an extra from 'Airplane'!

I guess a balance of accuracy and longevity is what's needed, I always go for the former.
    Last edited by mawganmad; 30-12-2011 at 12:49.

Problem I have is that I dont get the time to build models anymore. I used to make them but these days have to rely on the diecasts. I have to admit that some of the CORGI models are not the best, however, some of the other producers of diecast - Hobbymaster, Gemini etc are superb and highly detailed.

I agree to a certain extent Gorgi models can be a bit of a problem when you display them in a static posision as the landing gear dont always fit perfectley . Where as hobbymaster models are as hydealfred points out are superb & detaild but i still prefer diecast to plastic .

Have to say - one of the best diecasts I have seen in a long time. I'm amazed how big the Stirling is against the Lancaster & Halifax.

It really does look a good model I'll get one eventually my airfix model was consigned to scrap some years ago.

That looks the bees Knees it realy looks a good model . Hopefully i will get mine out by wednesday . i will keep you posted .

I was delighted to receive my Corgi Stirling.
    My wife bought it for me as a Christmas present from NAUTICALIA because my father was a Stirling pilot.
    She paid a fortune for it ages ago but sadly it did not arrive in time for Christmas.
    Who cares - I joyfully opened the box - took it out and looked at it in wonder at the quality.
    And then I noticed that the port inner engine was pointing upwards out of line with the other three.
    At first I thought the engine nacelles were a push fit and would easily be put right but it was fixed solid.
    I contacted Nauticalia who had no more left to exchange and so I contacted Corgi to ask them to replace it.
    To date they have offered to do absolutely nothing other than telling me how proud they are of the quality of their products, that it is not a fault I can correct myself and referred me back to Nauticalia.
    I refuse to buy those appearing on ebay at inflated prices so it seems I have the choice of being stuck with it or giving it up altogether for a cash refund.
    Wish I had built my own Airfix verson now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information