Thread: Hodnet

Default Hodnet

Hodnet (29 SLG)

This picture was taken from this site,
    www.hodnet.org.uk/main/?page_id=519 , scrolll down till you get to the image which states that it was the Airfield watch office, ive been passed this 100s of times knowing that the airfield was here, but took know notice of the building which can be seen very easily just off the A442, i thought it had something to do with the house nearby,

I did use to get changed for football in a old war time building next to the cricket ground before crossing the the road to the football pitch, if it is the watch office, any idea of the DRG No,
    I will also get some more images if needed?
    Regards Ian

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Hodnet (29 SLG)

An article in Airfield Review No 92 (Oct 2001) refers to the main building as the Mess with Toilet. Another reference mentions 'Mess and Armoury' so perhaps the smaller adjacent building was the Armoury?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=HODNET...,274.4,,1,5.01

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    An article in Airfield Review No 92 (Oct 2001) refers to the main building as the Mess with Toilet. Another reference mentions 'Mess and Armoury' so perhaps the smaller adjacent building was the Armoury?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=HODNET...,274.4,,1,5.01
    Hi Peter, thanks for that, just looked on "control towers" do they have the same image for the watch office?
    Regards Ian

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Just looked at the small image on http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Hlist.htm and it shows the same buildings combination but viewed from the other end i.e est looking east. They list it as 'demolished' which it may well be since I am looking at the satt views and not real time.

Hi Ianbache, the building you have pictures of is the Mess Room / kitchen and Tiolet facilities for personnel guarding the stored aircraft, as far as i can tell from my reasearch there never was a watchtower as such at Hodnet

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Cmdr ( A ) View Post
    Hi Ianbache, the building you have pictures of is the Mess Room / kitchen and Tiolet facilities for personnel guarding the stored aircraft, as far as i can tell from my reasearch there never was a watchtower as such at Hodnet
    Thanks for that LT Cmdr, i think Hodnets council might have to change there web page then, any idea what building we used to get changed in , which was by the cricket pitch in the trees just off the old road A442,
    Regards Ian

This paragraph and photos were received from Barry Chambers:

Latter

Photo 1 - Buildings towards the southern end of the airfield. Admin?? The one on the right is of two rooms without a connecting door and a two toilet annexe on the right. The public road is off to the right.

Photo 2 - Admin?? Buildings viewed from airfield side. The rear building is a single room.

Photo 3 - Admin?? Building showing opartition wall between rooms aand a roof construction in the right hand building in photo 1.

Photo 4 - The original doors to the left hand room of the main building in photo 1.

Photo 5 - Picket Post on main dispersal site to the north of the airfield, near the village. Now the cricket pitch pavillion.

Photo 6 - Toilet interior (see photo 1)

Photo 7 - The Bear Inn - used by airfield personnel for leisure purposes. The original ball room was behind the three gabled windows on the first floor, now converted to bedrooms.

Photo 8 - A large house, diagonally opposite the Bear Inn, taken over as accomodation and office space. MT was parked in the yard, entrance to which is from the right.

All photos taken by Barry Chambers.

Thread Information