Thread: Belmont (Chorley) Decoy Site No 18 & 51

Default Belmont (Chorley) Decoy Site No 18 & 51

Hello

Looking for any information on the Belmont decoy site or an acurate grid ref, is there anything surviving ?

Many thanks

Mark

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Belmont (Chorley) Decoy Site No 18 & 51

According to 'Dobinson' NGR SD658162 which puts it around here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=14&oz=8&gt=1

Thanks for that, how accurate are these grid refs, are they the estimated centre of the site or a specfic feature ?
    Last edited by LAMR; 11-04-2012 at 10:24.

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by LAMR View Post
    Thanks for that, how accurate are these grid refs, are they the estimated centre of the site or a specfic feature ?
    The accuracy tends to vary and is usually a nominal centre rather than a specific feature.

As this site had a QF & QL located on it would there be two shelters to control it and I asume they would over look the site ?

The area given in the grid ref is very remote and hilly ie very little roadways/tracks to serve it, would have thought it very difficult to get supplies in paticularly the QF site.

Have spent some time in the area looking for any remains but as yet no luck, what kind of area would this site been expected to cover as ROF Euxton was a very large site

I've had quick looks at this before, with no success. The grid references are usually "somewhere" within the site itself, and not usually the bunker associated with the site.

For this area, I would first take a look at Lancashire County Council Mario Maps - they have aerial photography of that era. Secondly, contact the National Monuments Record (I can give you emails etc), give them a OS grid reference, and ask them to do a search for you, which will tell you what aerial photos they have have of that locality. Then ask them to do a photocopy of each one (41p each?), and start looking. It's not a fast process, but they are usually pretty good.

Don't believe Pastscape saying that the remains are lost, I've just proved them wrong on the Mossley decoy, ( http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...hlight=mossley there is a thread on here about it, which may give you a clue as to what to look for.

The bunker was usually not too far away, I've seen them from 100 yards to a 800 yards away. The bunker was usually on slightly higher ground, and overlooked the site. On moorland, they liked sticking them near the top, or on a shoulder, so they would be visible from most directions, especially the direction that bombers came from, with the bunker just above.

The usual giveaway, is that these things consumed a lot of combustive materials, therefore they had a good trackway to them, so look for trackways that end in the middle of nowhere. They usually had a lot of "disturbed" ground around them, which usually appears light coloured / white on B&W aerial photos.

Also worth having a quick look at Bing Maps aerial photos / Birds Eye.

Also, ask the nearby local farmer, BUT - DO NOT FORGET that the locals were told packs of lies about them in WW2, and still believe the lies to this day. There is usually a grain of truth in what they say though.

I've had Dunham-on-the-Hill munitions storage built by Italian PoW's in WW1. It was actually McAlpines in WW2.
    Last edited by a10694; 21-04-2012 at 20:11.

Thanks for the tips, Mario was no good as the images are poor but am awaiting for copies from the NMR. I have spent many hours on the moorland and current air photos looking for clues with no luck as yet, but am thinking hopefuly !! the NMR photos will unlock its secrets, but will keep getting up there looking till I find it.

Its the lack of access into the area around the grid ref make me think I need to look further out.

Unfortunatly the local farms are now private dwellings and they have no idea about it, fortunatly Belmont is a small (500) community and have contacted the local residents to see if anyone knows of anything, I have a local recollection of a lady walking along the Rivington Road and seing the poles with lights on them perched on the moors.

I have found the shelter for another site which I will publish when I have finished my research into that site.

I think we have corosponded in the past during my RAF Millom days, is it Phil ??

Mark

yes, it's me. I've done all the Merseyside AA and Decoy sites to death, and now I keep getting asked about other ones in other areas. Just looking at RAF Woodvale, looked at Foxhouses Sheffield and Mossley Manchester. Most are on here somewhere. The Merseyside ones are all interesting, almost one of every type going.

I do admit that the lack of access tracks puzzles me for that area identified. The access tracks rarely disappear totally, a bit like railway lines.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Sometimes typos creep in to the records. When I find any site which out to have some remains but has none visible I ask myself is the NGR in error and try swopping the digits of the last three around. But, in this case LAMR met a local lady who recalls activity. But then, it was an Army run site replicating an industrial (ROF) at night. The ROF would have been under strict blackout orders so the number and strength of visible light spots would not have required a great deal of hardware to replicate.

Have you found any other Army sites with identifiable remains?

Thread Information