Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London City

Default London City

A series of photos taken on the approach to London City by my mate Andy Slatts

Default Re: London City Airport

IMHO a nice little airport. I landed here and from getting off the aircraft and picking my bags up to getting out of the airport wasnt even 5 minutes.

A couple of shots of the approach for 10. Taken from a Bulldog on one of the Fun Days

When it opened the commuters would often look at the aircraft on approach and wonder if they were witnessing an aircraft about to crash. Obviously the steep approach was to avoid all the ground fire from Thamesmead

Fabulous pictures of an always interesting airfield.....here it is in a time-tunnel
    http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw024898

From what I understand, it has one of the steepest approaches of any commercial airport, due to environmental constraints.
    Another interesting challenge they have is magnetic interference. A lot of the dock mooring bollards were just cut-off at ground level and they play havoc with magnetic compasses.

Default Re: London City

I've recently read that La Guardia has similar compass problem in areas due to the large quantity of steel reinforcement (and scrap?) used in the concrete which was laid on marshy infilled terrain.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thank goodness the steel in the approach lighting doesn't affect the magnetic field

On Sunday afternoon and evening we always had turbo props flying over our house never counted them but it seemed like every 10 mins or so. Now they have a lot of jets, a lot less noisy compared to the turbo props.

Bit of a follow-up to my comment about magnetic anomalies at London City. The AAIB report can be found here.
    http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...DRQ%201-08.pdf
    Not only the mooring bollards, but railway lines for dockside cranes and steep piling all causing issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information