Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms

Interestingly, also in the same Ken Delve book, he mentions East Wretham as having 24 "Mcadam Type" dispersals and 12 "Punched Planking Type" dispersals - Has anyone heard of these as well?

the "Punched Planking" might be alluding to PSP Richard.

Chris

Peter said:
    As the source was probably Air 10/4038...
    I have found 4038 to contain some very dubious information. For example under lighting we have such gems as:

Kirmington - Cranwell Electric Flarepath (actually Drem Mk.2)
    Cranwell North - Flarepath (definitely not a Drem variant)
    Cranwell South- Barkston (??)
    Chipping Warden - Bomber Command (actually Drem Mk.2)
    Dunino - Pillar Lights (??)
    Halfpenny Green - Minimum Standard Operational (Drem Mk.2)
    Hurn - Planet Lights (??)
    New Zealand Farm - Double FP and parent planet (??)
    Sibson - Held at Newton (not much use then !)
    Worcester - Elementary (need to ask Sherlock I guess)

There are quite a lot of other entries which make little sense.

I suppose it depends on how 4038 (or whatever the original was called) was compiled. If it was filled in locally then they may have used the description in use at that location, official or not. It certainly happens today in the company I work for where the same thing is referred to by different names.
    I have very limited experience of official records and 4038 will be one of the first I intend to look at. Whatever it says it needs to be related to other evidence and in the case of clock hardstands a decent aerial photo will confirm the reality.

Peter

If it was filled in locally then they may have used the description in use at that location, official or not
    Yes I agree with this. Next time I'm at TNA I'll revisit 4038. Just wondering if it's worth photographing the entire document - a bit time consuming, perhaps.

Yes I agree with this. Next time I'm at TNA I'll revisit 4038. Just wondering if it's worth photographing the entire document - a bit time consuming, perhaps.
    That's exactly what I was going to do. Daughter 2 has a nice camera that has a document/no flash setting and it works beautifully. I assume from the rules that this is okay.

As I have never been to TNA has anyone any tips not in the official blurb?
    My aim is to request 10/4038 and 20/7585-6 with the aim of being selective from the later.

Peter

Has anyone mentioned the rare star-shaped dispersals officially known as multiple standings. I believe Hawarden had one these types of dispersal for use by No. 48 MU and I think there was one at Cluntoe (Arboe) in Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozefighters
    Has anyone mentioned the rare star-shaped dispersals officially known as multiple standings. I believe Hawarden had one these types of dispersal for use by No. 48 MU and I think there was one at Cluntoe (Arboe) in Northern Ireland.
    Are they also known as "fingers" as well? Mullaghmore, Greencastle, Kemble, Edzell also had them. There were more but I am doing this from memory. They can also be found as "Y" hardstands as well - a component of the star. I think they were used by the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) to store new aircraft prior to service. Speke - just thought of that one.

Peter

Default mound on the side of a dispersal bay?

Hi All! Just found the forum and this is my first post!

I run the website for the RAF Harrowbeer Interest Group. We've been puzzling over the fact that two of our dispersal bays have 'strange' mound-like platforms built on one side. It looks like a vehicle could be driven up onto them as there is a ramp at the back for access.

But no-one we've asked can shed any light on what they were for????

Anybody got any suggestions for these and some of our other puzzles?

http://www.rafharrowbeer.co.uk/airfield_puzzles.htm

Stephen

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: mound on the side of a dispersal bay?

The last picture with 'concrete rings' is almost certainly local defence posts.

unknown-thing-at-graveley-t1237.html

Re the hollow square with the two holes just outside the perimeter fence to the north. Can you give a Flash Earth or other satellite link to the location?

Peter H

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information