Thread: COTTESMORE - RAF / USAAF Memorial

Default COTTESMORE - RAF / USAAF Memorial

Found this on the Footnote site and wondered if it was still there.

I assume the date is 1945. I didn't realise memorials were being erected within months of the war ending?

Peter
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 13-04-2014 at 08:36. Reason: Formatted title

SuperMod

The memorial still stands and is located outside the station headquarters. It can therefore only be viewed by prior appointment. The map reference is SK913151. The inscription reads "May the memory of the comradeship sown in the skies of Europe forever be as green as the fields of Cottesmore. Presented by the USAAF Troop Carrier Units based at Cottesmore 1944-45".

The earliest post-World War Two memorial is normally credited as being at Wendling where the USAAF dedicated a memorial on 2nd September 1945. However there is the Liberator crash memorial at Freckleton near Warton which was dedicated on 21st August 1945. Does anybody know of any earlier ones?

Peter

Just been looking at the Cottesmore photo again. The base it's on doesn't look too profressional, with a lack of pointing around the memorial base and the slab it is sitting on. I wonder if this was a temporary location for dedication purposes and later moved to it's current location?

You will tell me if I am getting to picky?

PJH - thanks for confirming that it is still there.

Peter

Default Re: Cottesmore

The oldest memorial to the Eighth Air Force is the Stained Glass Window at Quidenham church. This was dedicated on 11-11-44 Airfields man.

Default Re: Cottesmore

I wrote to the public relations seeking the required permission to photograph the above mentioned memorial. After four weeks and no reply I phoned them, answer phone... so I left a message and thought well I'll just have to forget about this one. Two days later I had a message left from RAF Cottesmore !!! would I like to arrange a time to photograph said memorial, so I phoned them then they phoned me yesterday morning at 8.40am and we arranged for 10am today.

Thread Information