Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Linton-on-Ouse

Default Linton-on-Ouse

From this side the CT looks normal

From this side you think the architect was having a bad day!

Last edited by Carnaby; 05-01-2012 at 19:59. Reason: Title amended

Default Re: RAF Linton-on-Ouse

Passing Linton-on-Ouse with NJR & CDP last week we stopped to have a look from the fence at what was going on there. It looks like a new tower is being built.

Excuse the quality, they are a long way away and the photos are cropped! Not what I'd usually post but more for referance.

The old;

The new;

Default Re: Linton-on-Ouse

I was at Linton today on a base tour and learnt that the new control tower will be commissioned on the 19 November and will operate alongside the existing tower for a few days to prove all of its systems before taking over as the operational tower . Normally , as well as the aircraft , I only photograph control towers and hangars but found myself photographing various airfield buildings and even vehicles....must be the influence of AiX !

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Has to be one of the ugliest modification made to a CT.
    It is, but one thing in its favour is that it has meant little alteration to the original 2328/39 watch office. Hopefully this will have a good future?

Another interesting thing is that NPs pics give an unusual glimpse into how these 2548/55 VCRs were added to existing designs. They all have that steel platforn with the steel girder legs, but normally dropped down through the original building, which has to have its floors cut and new local foundations made to facilitate the heavy VCR.

It surprised me when I first found out (via two fairly explicit drawings), but the VCR weight has to be taken down to the foundations. I suppose weight must be only one worry, wind side forces etc is another.
    In St Mawgans tower there were certain places where you could crawl in or open a hatch and see the 'newer' steel work.

1. There is (was?) a plaque in the (old) tower dedicated to the memory of a former WWII aircrew whose ashes were scattered over the airfield in either the 50's or 60's

2. In the mid 80's there was an incident of one of the female assistants "seeing a ghost" in the old tower in WWII flying kit (not sure if this is/isn't related to No 1?)

3. The fate of the old WWII ATC building is secure as it is now used as the engineering base for visiting detachments. However I'm unsure what plans exist for the post war addition (VCR)
    I will check with a good contact and report back next week

4. When it was windy - the noise of the wind passing through the ironwork supports was very loud

5. Finally, the new build tower is modelled on the new ATC building at Coningsby - and this design will be used for all future tower replacements A/R

Rgds

Tony H

Gents

FYI

This evening I've just returned from a course at Shawbury - (where I spoke to a colleague currently based at Linton)

The old WWII ATC building is apparently listed and therefore will be retained UTFN. The post war VCR extension however, is to be dismantled/demolished ASAP

Hope this is of use ?

Rgds

Tony H

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Colin, unlikley that you will get to the far side of the airfield but, in case you do,the original pre-war bomb store was located in this wood and there may be remains.

Also, if you look to 10 o'clock from the wood, there appears to be two extant Fuzing Point sheds from the later bomb store.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.05....9&r=0&src=msl

if you want to know whats left in the old bomb dumpi can find out as i have access to all the airfield

Peter, I know the old bomb dump, I used to go picking mushrooms in that area with my kids. There used to be some Nissan huts over there which were still in good condition.
    There was a Station Farm set-up which grew vegetables around various parts of the airfield. It used the produce in the various messes and sold the surplus to enrich mess funds. I recall a potato patch may have been located on that side of the airfield.
    I always thought that a flat area on the side of a river was an unusual place to locate an airfield but still they used to have very good football teams who got a lot of practice when flying was curtailed because of poor visibility. You do tend to get mists in river areas.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information