Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Linton-on-Ouse

Default Re: Linton-on-Ouse

These two phtoos were taken by David Thompson and show the damage to the MT section. David will no doubt be along to give some more info and I'm sure Smiler16 can add something to it too.

Thanks Richard . The green metal sheet covers a crack in the concrete which at first I thought had been caused during the air-raid of 12 May 1941 but I'm now pretty sure that the garages were damaged when Halifax NP710 of 408 Squadron crashed on them whilst attempting an overshoot on the 11 September 1944 killing six of the crew and one airman on the ground . There are photographs of this incident in the station Memorial Room .

Five servicemen including the Station Commander W/C Garraway were killed during the 1941 attack and they are buried in All Saints Churchyard at Newton On Ouse .

must of over shoot the 17/35 runway for it to hit the mt building

Default Memorial Room to be opened to public on weekends

Limited opening on Sundays only . Dates , times and contact details here ;

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1032...to_the_public/

One of the last images of 78 Sqn taken at Linton on Ouse. The date on the back of this original framed photo stated May 1943. They moved (for the final time) to Breighton the following month

IMG_0001 (1).jpg

Apologies if this image is "stretched" when viewing. I'm confident this was taken from the roof of the WWII Watch Office

To add to David Thompson's earlier post re an air raid. The Stn Cdr, G/C Frederick Garraway was indeed killed whilst he directed fire and rescue operations. His grave is within the service plot of nearby Newton on Ouse churchyard

Gp Capt Garraway Grave 1.jpg

Further tragedy was to affect the Garraway family later in the war when his son (Bomb Aimer) P/O Christopher Garraway was KIA along with the rest of his crew when his Halifax was shot down by flak on a raid on railway marshalling yards in a Parisian suburb

By sheer coincidence of fate, P/O Garraway was serving with 78 Sqn (at Breighton) when he was killed

The Garroway info is also listed in the Yorkshire memorials thread but I feel (hope) it is appropriate to reproduce it here too

Tony H
    Last edited by Tony H; 21-09-2013 at 16:37.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread Information