Thread: "Ben Neagh House" County Antrim

Default "Ben Neagh House" County Antrim

Has anyone any information regarding "Ben Neagh House" in County Antrim?

The N.I.E.A. Website has this recorded as having been a United States Navy Flying Boats Headquarters building.

It appears to be a large building set in some grounds and is close to the Airfields at Langford Lodge, Nutts Corner and Aldergrove as well as the Flying Boat station at Sandy Bay however I can find no other reference to its Military use.

In my opinion it certainly looks like the sort of place which would have been commandeered for use by Officers as a Headquarters Building and my intention is to approach the current owners and ask if they have any knowledge of the WW2 past however I always like to have some sort of background knowledge before making such an approach.

I would be very interested in finding out more about what heppened here and any assistance would be much appreciated.

Default Re: "Ben Neagh House" County Antrim

It appears that this Headquarters related to a regular Flying Boat service between Sandy Bay and New York by Coronado Flying Boats and that on one day in 1944 there were eleven movements!
    The purpose was to assist in the maintainance of Langford Lodge.

Has anyone information regarding the Coronado?

Default "Ben Neagh" Crumlin, County Antrim

This building was used as a Canteen by personel from the United States Navy PB2Y Coronado Flying Boat Service which operated from Sandy Bay on Lough Neagh.

During the war it stood in the grounds in the nearby large House known as "Ben Neagh" and is now private property.

Very pleasing to see that this original building is being retained. - Does anyone have any information regarding this??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: "Ben Neagh" Crumlin, County Antrim

An interesting relic, thanks. But I know little about the USN ops in NI during WW2 so maybe someone can give a synopsis.

Thread Information