Thread: Drawing Numbers.

Question Drawing Numbers.

I needed to place a Decontamination Centre Type KM Drawing No.15843/40 at Communal Site 2 at Ibsley. I checked here for info & eventaully found a picture of one at Llandwrog but without a drawing number. Lower down the page however, were wonderful photos from Richard Drew & a link to his RAF Long Newnton which has pics with drawing numbers! Knowing what it looked like, my Ibsley now has a Type KM in situ.

This incident leads me to ask, is there a illustrated repository available that has drawing numbers? I do use Graham Buccahan Innes a lot as 9 times out of 10 he's included numbers. I've got a couple of other books as well.
    I gather AiX has a lot of plans, etc, & I'm wondering if it can drum drawing numbers, etc, up if asked?

Default Re: Drawing Numbers.

We dont yet have the means to copy or sort through our drawing collection, which has most of the decontamination centre drawings. The only thing we can do, is post photos of actual buildingss on here of anything you want. Yes Richard's web site is a good sourse of material with drawing numbers.

I didn't mean to limit it to decontamination centres! I was thinking of '39-'45 buildings in general....& the photo option is an excellent one. How or who do I ask?

tigger

Posts such as http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...ilding-Numbers and http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...ilding-Numbers will help. A link to a photograph of each would be good but as Paul says, this is a major job.
    I've found most questions (there's an exception...hint) I've had about buildings have been answered by those more knowledgable than me amongst the subscribers.

Thanks Tigger! Gypsymoth I was refering to all buildings, you used the decon example and I was simply saying we have those drawings, amongst many thousand more.

Yes - I've seen those links but without a picture, numbers to me at least, remain meaningless. What plans I have are littered with numbers. My point is, it wasn't unitl I found Richard Drew's wonderful pictures that 15843/40 meant anything at all, which is why I asked about both together.

At the moment I trawl Atlantikwall hoping to see a picture with the number I want....I was wondering about something a bit more organised with the 2 together.

Do you mean is there a definitive list of the drawing numbers, and what the designs are?
    Such a thing exists for aircraft designs and equipment (which all follow the same A.M. number system), but I yet to stumble across such a list for the buildings.
    The RAF Museum and TNA are worth a try as they hold many building plans with the drawing numbers, but works best if you know what you're after.

I would also love to know how the drawing numbers were issued, the last number we know is the year, but is the first number a sequence only used for buildings, or for all equipment, ie could 1234/42 be a boiler system, and 1235/42 an ablutions hut? Also the numbers used always seem relatively high, rarely see a 9/42 etc for example (unlike aircraft), so where does the sequence start and is it applied to all things procurred or built or anything dawn up and only considered for use.

It's a fascinating subject, and one I would love to know more about.

I posted as many of the 1940-43 building drawing numbers as I had at the time HERE.

There are a few sequential blocks, such as these which were all 1941 Technical Site buildings:

12400/41 Station Offices (Nissen)
    12401/41 Photographic Block (Nissen)
    12402/41 Unknown
    12403/41 Maintenance and W/T Unit(Nissen), Armoury Type A (Nissen), Armoury Type B (Nissen) and Tractor & Oil Bowser Shed
    12404/41 Guard House Types A & B (Nissen) and Picket Post Types A & B (Nissen)
    12405/41 Works Services Hut
    12406/41 Lubricant & Inflammables Store Types A & B (Nissen)
    12407/41 Unknown
    12408/41 Gas Defence Centre (Nissen and Temp. Brick)
    12409/41 Gas Respirator Store & Workshops (Temp. Brick) and Gas Clothing & Respirator Stores (Temp. Brick)
    12410/41 Fire Tender Shelter and Fire Tender House (Nissen)
    12411/41 NFE Store (Temp. Brick), Gas Chamber (Temp. Brick) and Floodlight Tractor & Trailer Shed (Temp. Brick)

PB

I want to place an Institute, type 94-659 at Ibsley with the drawing number of 17028/40. It looks like buildings placed together to form an irregular shape. With no constuction info to follow I'm afraid I just placed some TBs together & left ! Buchan Innes is silent on the topic......my other books have nothinng either.
    I've warned the teacher taking the students round the site that my screenshots are not to be taken as an accurate record, but will hopefully give them a flavour of 1941 Ibsley.

Thread Information