Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Historic Aerial Photo Resources

Default Re: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS - N.I. Airfields

Ooooh!

It's a shame all the stuff I really want to look at is not visible yet - they are teasing us! Hopefully next Christmas all my presents will be in the vertical form

Hardly anything on bombing ranges though

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS - N.I. Airfields

Using specific 'keyword' searches often does not produce what you are looking for. Most 'finds' are whilst looking for something else! But, what's on-line so far beats the card filing system that they had in the IWM Photo Archive and that you had to go through to locate an album on the shelf! Cheaper too, in fact free for personal consumption and not commercial sharing such as AiX.

Default Aerofilms Collection

The English Heritage link for the collection is

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
    Last edited by tigger; 01-11-2012 at 17:56.

Default Re: Historic Aerial Photo Resources

More updates from RCAHMS, this time 1946 aerials covering parts of Nairnshire and Morayshire.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/news/new...0n8u73su7murp3

Airfields covered are Kinloss, Lossiemouth (both already covered) parts of Milltown, most of Elgin, most of Forres, Dalcross and Leanach (no features that are obvious on this SLG).

Luckily some ranges are also covered. The arrow for Clunas is now visible at last but sadly the target is 200 metres off the edge of the nearest frame. Also Burghead arrow is visible, thus resolving an outstanding query buy again the target is 200 meters off the nearest frame. The mysterious and probably mythical Honeychurch range must be in their somewhere as it was used by Kinloss (19 OTU) but I have no idea of it's location as the wartime grid reference is incorrect.

Default Re: Historic Aerial Photo Resources

The RCAHMS have released some more aerial images online. The ones of Scotland are OS plates which are already available on the NLS and Google Maps though with higher resoltution (to subscribers).

Possibly of more interest here are some NATO images from Belgium, Germany and Sardinia. I haven’t checked all these but they have NATO airfields so might show some of the structures around them

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/news/?PH...7ca6pr5hcb0h33

“The imagery includes cover of several airfields in Germany, including two photographed from low-level during a major NATO exercise in 1955. Also featured are a series of photomaps produced in the late 1940s which cover areas of Scotland.”

“The imagery covers large parts of Sardinia, including the capital, Cagliari, and the wealthy coastal resort of Porto Cervo, as well as the Italian Air Force base at Decimomannu, now a NATO air combat training centre.”

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information