Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulmodeston Decoy Site

Default Fulmodeston Decoy Site

Fulmodeston, Norfolk, Decoy Site

This is a well preserved example of a reinforced concrete decoy airfield shelter, this consists of a concrete barrel vault, this housed the generators that ran the Scarecrow search light that was used to simulate aircraft taking off and landing, this was operated on the concrete base on the top of the shelter inside the railings. Behind this vault is a cross passage between high brick walls, beyond this is a second larger barrel vault appearing to be of iron covered in reinfoced concrete to house the operatives. It is recorded as a KQ site, the K denotes a day use field with dummy aircraft, bomb dumps and fuel stores. Q sites denote night use, these would use a runway flare path and light patterns, it is recorded that these dummy fields were so realistic that many of our aircraft would try to land on them some times with fatal circumstances. This site is dated 1939 to 1943/4.

Thanks
    Last edited by stiemer; 17-03-2012 at 21:22.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Fulmodeston, Norfolk, Decoy Site

Nice condition. A part of it is constructed from the same steel sections as a Stanton shelter.

I don't know its exact location but the Norfolk Explorer site has coverage of the area:

http://historic-maps.norfolk.gov.uk/mapexplorer/

I put a thread on on this place before.
    Here it is circa 1946:

Decoy post is adjacent the hedge line, X:601430 Y:330228
    I must admit to feeling slightly cheated, I thought there would be more evidence remaining of a day decoy, gaps in hedgerows etc.
    Last edited by tigger; 10-09-2012 at 08:50. Reason: corrected typo

Visited this site this afternoon... Am trying to find out a little more about these bunkers...
    What was the purpose of the tower with the railings?
    Was it used as part of the "Scarecrow" aircraft taxi simulation or to house a searchlight?

Default Re: Fulmodeston Decoy Site

What was the purpose of the tower with the railings?

Yes, it was used to mount the pivoted lamp used to simulate an aircraft taxi light. A decoy site crewman was trained to swing the light in various arcs and various times to simulate an aircraft manoeuvring on the ground.

Ok.
    It's just that some sources mention that the "scarecrow" light was mounted on a Gantry NEXT to the shelter...
    Unless of course, the gantry was on wheels on the ground, and swung from a pivot point on the tower?

And the crew for these shelters were RAF Personnel? (as opposed to Home Guard or civillians)

(By the way, there's a good example at Warham St. Mary, which is in much better condition than this one at Fulmodeston...)

And the crew for these shelters were RAF Personnel? (as opposed to Home Guard or civillians)

For decoy sites protecting RAF airfields the manning was provided by the parent station, in this case West Raynham so yes, RAF usually a couple of ground electricians in the crew. Of course, there were Army decoys and Navy and Civilian so I assume they manned their own but the decoy elements were different not representing airfields.

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Nice condition. A part of it is constructed from the same steel sections as a Stanton shelter.
    Steel reinforced concrete.
    See, the man is fallible now and again!

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post

For decoy sites protecting RAF airfields the manning was provided by the parent station, in this case West Raynham so yes, RAF usually a couple of ground electricians in the crew. Of course, there were Army decoys and Navy and Civilian so I assume they manned their own but the decoy elements were different not representing airfields.
    Ok. That's answered that.

Now, is there a technical diagram available anywhere of one of these bunkers?

At Warham St. Mary, on top of the generator room is a galvanised tank, which is said to be a water tank.
    I guess this was for cooling the generators...?

Inside the generator room is 2 lots of steel pipes with taps still in place.
    Was there 1 generator, or were the 2 plinths for supporting 2 seperate smaller generators with 1 as a standby?

Sorry- I'm full of questions this morning.

tigger

Your first port of call should be 'Fields of Deception' by Colin Dobinson (Methuen/English Heritage ISBN 978-0413745705)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information