Thread: Incendiaries WW2

Default Incendiaries WW2

The standard incendiary for WW2 was the 4pound thermite version. I understand it was made in only two factories.

One is Charlesfield, Near St Boswells.

Can anyone help me identify the other please?

Thanks Ian

Default Re: Incendiaries WW2

I believe J Stone & Co Ltd at Deptford were involved, as were ICI.
    The 4lb MkIVE was also produced for RAF stocks in the USA as the AN/M50XA1.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

There were two main elements to the production of the 4 pound Incendiary Bomb. One was the magnesium alloy body and the other was the filling comprising thermite pellets and a simple striker/detonator mechanism. In addition a percentage of all bomb manufactured contained a small charge of HE (High Explosive) as a deterrent to fire fighters.

It is likely that the body with integral nose and the tail were manufactured in an engineering factory and then shipped to an 'explosive' factory for filling and assembly. Literally millions of 4 pound IBs were produced and dropped during WW2.

Charlesworth I know and have always assumed that it was a 'filling' factory but not formally designated as an ROF. I feel sure that there had to be at least one other dedicated 'filling' factory but will need to do some digging to find where. Many sub-contractors such as small engineering firms were co-opted to produce IB bodies and tails etc and other companies such as ICI the fillings.As informed by Paul (above) J Stone & Co Ltd was one

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

After some searching and re-reading my personal notes and some references, I am sure that a second factory dedicated to the production of the 4 pound Incendiary Bomb was Bowhouse (no doubt known by a variety of other names!) controlled by the Air Ministry whereas the St Boswells (Charlesfield) was under the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) and operated by Nobel Explosive Co/ICI.

The Bowhouse site is now cleared and is a HM Prison:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=15&oz=7&gt=1

A good record of the layout - then much unchanged from the 1940s - is visible on a 1967 OS map that can be viewed on the Old Maps website:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    After some searching and re-reading my personal notes and some references, I am sure that a second factory dedicated to the production of the 4 pound Incendiary Bomb was Bowhouse (no doubt known by a variety of other names!) controlled by the Air Ministry whereas the St Boswells (Charlesfield) was under the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) and operated by Nobel Explosive Co/ICI.

The Bowhouse site is now cleared and is a HM Prison:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=15&oz=7&gt=1

A good record of the layout - then much unchanged from the 1940s - is visible on a 1967 OS map that can be viewed on the Old Maps website:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html
    Peter,

Thank you for this.

I found a reference to Bowhouse n the Gazateer of the book "Dangerous Energy" ISBN 1 85074 718 0

Bowhouse was an Air Ministry factory, operating from 1940 to 1945, technically a filling factory operating from 1940 to 1945, making incendiaries and pyrotechnics.

Thanks again.

Ian

Thread Information