Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rearsby

Default Rearsby

A few photos of the remains of Rearsby airfield in Leicestershire. Famous for the production of Austers, the factory units still stand and are used by local businesses. The flying field can be discerned but now hosts crops instead of aircraft.

The Auster (and others) assembly buildings.

The flying field.

NJR

I find it a shame that theres absolutley nothing here to tell people that this was once a very busy and important airfield and of course home to the Auster.

I think the majority of people pass the site without giving it a second glance to be honest.

I think the majority of people pass the site without giving it a second glance to be honest.
    Sadly, I think thats like most places though Stevie

To true Rich i'm afraid.
    At least the buildings are all still standing at Rearsby though which is something i suppose! With the exception of the old club house which was a wooden pavillion type building.

Default Re: Rearsby

I was in the area of Rearsby /Ratcliffe at around 13:30 today. I was surprise to see an Auster, in the gloom, tracking between the two. Was is a significant anniversary today or just a happy coincidence?

Can anybody help with these photographs that has been sent to me by new AiX member Denny from Canada. He is trying to find anything about his Dads time at Rearsby Aerodrome and hopes that someone on here may recognise anybody in the photos or be able to help in any way who may have been at Rearsby during 1942/43. It would be great if anybody could help with any info. His dad (William (Bill) Painting) is on the wing second from left in the first pic and front row left in the second.

Thanks

Steve

Incidently, the Hurricane in the first photo was the very first one to be rebuilt at Rearsby.

Stevie:
    Thanks for posting that photo, I went on the link for Rearsby, and can you tell me exactly where the feild used to be?
    Is it where the Rearsby Business Park is now, on Gaddesby Lane, ( B674 ) nr A607 ?

If not, please let me know if otherwise. Incidently, when my Mom passed away in 1986, she moved from Canada to Syston, and I spent a lot of time there, almost every year 'till she passed in 2004, at age 94 !!

It is a shame I had no Idea about my Dads time spent in Rearsby, or I would have done a lot of research then.

But that is history now, so I hope this website will allow me to put some closure on my dads time there.

Cheers Denny

That's right Denny. It is the Rearsby Industrial Site on the B674. Quite a lot of it is still standing. It's here -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rear...h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Cheers
    Steve

Hello:
    I am the person who posted the pictures of some of the people who worked at Rearsby during the war, 1941 to 1945.
    Has anyone been able to identify the people in the two photo's ?

There must be others out there that are related to the members shown. Also I believe that all the people present recieved those same pictures.

Looking forward to any response,
    Cheers, Denny

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information