Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rearsby

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Rearsby

Another great pic of Rearsby sent to me by Nigel once again -

Miles Gemini and an Avro York parked up at Rearsby. I wouldn't have envied the York pilot having to land and take off an aircraft that size on the fairly short grass runway. -

Thanks to Nigel once again for sending me another brilliant Rearsby pic.

Cheers
    Steve

Some unusual looking Auster pics taken at Rearsby courtesy of Nigels brilliant collection of Rearsby photos -

.....and two more -

Cheers
    Steve

Met up with Steve on Monday (thanks mate, a brilliant and really interesting day) and he showed me around some more Leics and Notts sites, Rearsby being one, here is a couple of photos of the former airfield site.

I cannot WAIT for this...the sight & sound of Austers back at Rearsby after so long -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (from FLYER-Airportal) -
    Auster Club's 40th anniversary rally at Rearsby

To celebrate the International Auster Clubs 40th anniversary year in 2013, the club has secured permission from the land owners to hold one of the biggest Auster fly-ins at the original Auster factory site at Rearsby, Leicestershire at a date to be confirmed in August, although a primary date of Saturday 24 August looks most likely.
    It is hoped to be one of the largest gatherings of the type since the 2011 event at Middle Wallop which saw more than 50 examples of the type attend.
    Interest from European owners of Auster aircraft has been shown on attending this event.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve

SuperMod

New memorial unveiled (as advised by International Auster Club:

Just a note to let you know that today, at long last, a plaque has been ceremonially unveiled at the Rearsby factory site to commemorate thirty years of Auster production at that location from 1938 to 1968. The plaque was unveiled by Ivor Vaughan CBE, Chairman and co-owner of Rearsby Ltd and Gordon Hallam of our International Auster Club Heritage Group.

Our own President and Founder, Jim Sime was in attendance along with about a hundred invited guests, mostly former factory staff. A flypast from Leicester airfield, organised by our Hon. Secretary, Charles Sunter, took place at exactly 15:20 hours when the plaque was unveiled. the two aircraft were flown by Terry Lee and Shawn Whitehead, much to the delight of the assembled crowd on a calm, warm day with clear blue skies. Our Fly-In Coordinator, Rob Cotterhill liaised between Leicester airfield and the site, smoothing the way for the flypast and ensuring the IAC had a presence at Rearsby.

After the event, afternoon tea was served at Queniborough village hall as only Beryl Preston and her team of ladies can.

A transcript of the event will be uploaded to the www.austerhg.org website but if you are passing Gaddesby Lane, Rearsby, then do stop and take a look at this wonderful new plaque, so much a part of our Auster heritage.

Thank you to all with a hand in making this event happen and to those who ensured today was a memorable occasion.

Here's some photos of the new plaque that I took in the link below -

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...919#post124919

Just an update should anyone be interested, there are now 49 Auster's that have PPR'd for this event, including what I believe to be the worlds only airworthy B8 Agricola. Pray for good weather!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information