Thread: Milton Ernest

Hybrid View

Default Milton Ernest

There was supposedly a landing strip at Milton Ernest Hall in used during WW2 for SOE Agents. Does anyone know where the strip was?

Thanks

Richard

Default Re: Milton Ernest

Definitely was a grass strip, one document I read a while ago described it as ..'short' and within the estate grounds, but that's all.

If I had to hazard a guess, either in the north field (behind the staff huts) or over the river as the Hall had its own boat house and motor launch.... I may know somebody that may know more.

Milton Earnest Hall is separated by a stream. The airstrip was located in a 1,250 yard, diagonally long field opposite. The airstrip was laid out in 1943-44. There is a gap in the tree line, where some trees were removed to permit easier take off and landings.

A good book that I can throughly recommend: "The Bedford Triangle" - US Undercover Operation from England in WWII. Written by Martin Bowman.

The book not only covers Milton Earnest, but all the little known and unknown places in Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, & Buckinghamshire that SOE/OSS ran operations out of.
    Last edited by Flying Tiger; 10-04-2012 at 16:03.

Hi Flying Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
    A good book that I can throughly recommend: "The Bedford Triangle" - US Undercover Operation from England in WWII. Written by Martin Bowman.
    lol, I ordered this book only just yesterday.. 2.99 bargain on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
    Milton Earnest Hall is separated by a stream. The airstrip was located in a 1,250 yard, diagonally long field opposite. The airstrip was laid out in 1943-44. There is a gap in the tree line, where some trees were removed to permit easier take off and landings.
    From what I remember the hall had the river on the west side and there was a stream on the north end between the garden (north field) and land at London End, but there was no field that would allow a stretch of 1,250 yards, is there any more information?

Little bit of an update, as Flying Tiger mentions in Martin Bowman's book 'The Bedford Triangle' there is a photograph and byline in reference to the runway at Milton Ernest.

The photo has the tag line of ...' Milton Ernest Hall (left) is separated by a stream from the 1,250 yard diagonally long field where an airstrip was laid in 1943-44. Note the gap in tree line in the middle of the photo where some trees were removed to permit easier take off and landing (Author)'

From the photo you can establish that its the west side of the hall (using the roof line and chimneys) so the runway must have been over the river Great Ouse (aka the 'stream'!) on land at East End Pavenham. Other than from this report I can find nothing to substantiate the 1250 yard length, in fact most sources state the runway was 'short'.... the ground at East End is not exactly massive and getting a 1250 strip on it is quite hard. The view in the photo clearly shows a wood on the horizon and I am fairly sure that it must be Browns Wood by its shape so this narrows the direction down a little more.

I just recieved a copy of 'The Bedford Triangle' it certainly is a good book and another bargain at 2.95

Thread Information