Page 309 of 454 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 4531

Thread: Welcome - please introduce yourself here.

Default Hello from Hunter

Hi, Hunter here. I've been lurking for a while. Started out with pillboxes, moved onto visible aircraft wrecks, then the Cold War stuff and then via wrecked towns and holiday resorts in the Balkans, I've drifted toward airfields. I've also got interested in HAA sites recently, which is what drew me here initially during a websearch

Default Re: Hello from Hunter

Welcome to the forum hunter. I think a lot of us have varied interests sometimes with a "specilist subject".

Out of interest were the "wrecked towns and holiday resorts in the Balkans" wrecked before you went there?

Well, you know, I like to party hard.

Default Seemed like a good idea

Hi,

Found this site whilst trawling the web for info in Airfield Fire Trucks. 1970's Nubian Majors to be specific.

From 1971 to 1978 I was a Fireman at RAE Thurliegh - The "Ministry Site" for research and development of all things aeronautical.
    Everyone has probably heard of Farnborough (THE Airshow), well Thurliegh was the flying site whereas Farnborough was for the 'Boffins'.

Many of the aircraft at Thurliegh were one offs, HP115, SC.1, BAC 221, P1127, Kestrel, P111 yellow peril. Thankfully these are now preserved in museums. Being a research site we were privy to some spectacular flying by the very best of the best test pilots.
    Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt whilst I was there, although we had our fair share of 'incidents' to earn our keep as fireman.
    I'm now retired and on a quest to build as many models of the aircraft that were at the site when I was there.
    Also I started building a Nubian Major fire truck whilst there. Never completed it because I lost the notebook with all the dimensions in.
    Quest two is to find one and measure every last millimeter.

Default Re: Seemed like a good idea

sounds like you had a very interesting time. what materials are you planning making the fire truck with?

Default My introduction

Hello I am Ian Old. My first interest is aircraft spotting but it is only an short extension to being interested in the bases that aircraft operate from. My parents and two brother have more 80 years of service in the RAF so I am used to visiting military locations. I live two miles from what was RAF Leconfield. Last weekend I travelled to a nearby seaside town and went past Leconfield, Catfoss, Lissett (where I visited the very impressive memorial) and Carnaby. I went on the internet to find out more about what I saw, in particularly about the old buidlings at Lissett. I have joined this forum to find out more.

Default Re: My introduction

Welcome to the forum Ian. I'm sure you will find out more and maybe quizz your parents and brothers if the need arises.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX Ian, plenty of information available and recorded here. Just use the Search function or ask.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Page 309 of 454 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319359409 ... LastLast

Thread Information