Thread: Raydon Airfield- Fighter Station to Farmland.

Default Raydon Airfield- Fighter Station to Farmland.

Just re-found this small publication about Raydon Airfield. The Author is Graham Cross, Foreword is by Roger Freeman. Within the 35 pages are 14 sketches and 15 photographs. Sadly no date of publication, but it was before all national telephone code numbers became 01... On the rear cover is the 9th AF emblem. Anyone else got a copy, it's a very good read.

Default Re: Raydon Airfield- Fighter Station to Farmland.

Yes I have a copy purchased from East Anglian Books for 4.15. No date in the book but post 1988. Excellent airfield plan and living sites.

tigger

According to Amazon
    Publisher: Denzil Reeves,; First edition. Paperback. edition (1999)

Probably right although I think Denzil Reeves died soon after this. He lived in the Raydon area I think, he was a brilliant calligrapher, and I knew him well from my art school days! A very nice man, anything he did would be good.

Have now just found my copy, My son reminded me that we have it, I have so many aircraft, airfield related books that I forget. It is brilliant, informative, and a work of art to boot!
    Last edited by pauline; 01-11-2012 at 19:45.

The book was done in the 1990's my father was Denzil Reeves, it was done around the time the veteran us airmen came over to visit Raydon airfield, i remember it well there were several celebrations put on for them, if you ever visit the church there is a set of inscribed doors paid for buy the us veterans and a book of commerations. Its nice to hear those lovely things said about my dad he died in Jul 2008 and continued to work upto 6months before he died, he is still missed in the village.

Hello Tessa,

Your father was a lovely man, so kind and helpful to us in our art school days way back in the 50s. Everything I said about his work is true, and this little book about Raydon airfield sums it all up, well researched and a work of art too.
    RIP Denzil, all of us who knew you long ago miss you too.

Pauline.

I too remember Denzil Reeves with fondness - he was very involved with the church and other things going on in the village and lived just over the road from the church. I've just found out my copy of the book mentioned above and a programme for the Air Day on 4 July 1992 which I attended. Both reflect the huge input of Graham Cross who was the researcher but are enhanced by Denzil's layout and calligraphy.

Denzil.

A true Gentleman, craftsman and artist - remembered with fondness.

Thread Information