Thread: Ghost Fields of Suffolk - Roderick McKenzie

Default Ghost Fields of Suffolk - Roderick McKenzie

New Suffolk airfields book

Just come across this review of a new book, Ghost Fields of Suffolk, by Roderick McKenzie, who apparently wrote another about Norfolk.

Anyone read either yet? Maybe the author is a member here? I'm curious as to where some of his figures come from, such as the 40,000 Americans KIA.

Lightbulb Re: New Suffolk airfields book

I have Mr McKenzie's 'Norfolk' title and by coincidence I'm taking it with me to Norfolk this morning....

It's a more low-key, personal ( ie not academic or deeply researched ) overview of airfields than other works and it may be lacking in technical detail for many on this Forum.

That said, I like it.....the author is obviously moved ( as I am ) by the 'atmosphere' of old airfields and tries to capture a little of that, especially with the photos which are all taken by him and feature some of the more overlooked relics which can be found. Each airfield is given a quick 'thumbnail' description of service and a sketch map. IMPO a decent little book for the pocket or glovebox but not in the same league as 'Action Stations' or Roger A Freeman's books.

Default Re: New Suffolk airfields book

I have the Norfolk one & i agree it is abrilliant little book . As you say more apersonel overveiw of the airfields he has visited .
    The photes give quite an atmospheric look to the airfields . I will now buy the Suffolk book .
    Regards ,
    Al.

Default Re: Ghost Fields of Suffolk - Roderick McKenzie

I picked up a copy of this book at Jarrolds, Norwich today. Looks like an excellent field guiide and is set out in a ver similar format to the earlier Norfolk volume. Priced at 10 it is good value as it is full colour throughout the book unlioke the B&W photos in the Norfolk volume.

AiX gets a mention in the Acknowledgements, as does fellow AiX and ARG member Jason Himpson. A full review will appear in a future Airfield Review magazine.

Thread Information