Page 311 of 454 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 4535

Thread: Welcome - please introduce yourself here.

Default Re: Introducing netcompsys....

Welcome to AiX, Kevin, from another former LMech/TechAF

Default Hello from Phantom Streaker!!

Hi All,

I live 2 minutes cycle away from Wellesbourne Montford. I served as an Airframes Technican in the RAF for over 12 years so have a valid interest in old airfields. Although it does sadden me to see old camps that I visited or live on falling to ruin.

I am also a volunteer for The Buccaneer Aviation Group at Bruntingthorpe.

Great Forum and lots of great information.

Kind Regards

D

Default Re: Hello from Phantom Streaker!!

Hi D
    And welcome to the forum from another ex rigger (still riggering as a civvy LOL)

rgds baz

Welcome to AiX phantomstreaker!

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX phantomstreaker, plenty to see in your area.

Welcome to the forum phantomstreaker.

Default Hello all

I'm an expatriate (b. Carlisle); emigrated 9175, now retired. One of my main interests is postal history (which stands for collector of complete envelopes allowing analysis and understanding of postal routes, rates, etc.) I have joined this forum to get more information on former RAF stations in Cumberland. Having collected Carlisle area for three decades, I have only come across two envelopes addressed to RAF Silloth and none that could be identified as originating there. Does anyone have any information that would help?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Hello all

Welcome to AiX XLPE.

Personal mail would always be important to servicemen at airfields and just about every military airfield had a postal clerk and often a post office. In my experience , by agreement with the local civil Post Office. mail with an address line for the airfield was held post restante and collected daily by a clerk from the airfield. Similiarly, outgoing mail was collected at the airfield and delivered to the local Post Office where it was franked and dispatched. This would result in the envelope NOT bearing any identification of the RAF Unit (Airfield).

Not my line but perhaps we have some AiX members who know more of how it worked during WW2 allowing for the military censor too!

Default Re: Ride past RAF Broadwell every day - newb from Oxfordshire

Hi Guys,

Just joined up to see if l can find out any more information about my Father's time with the RAF.

He was based at Brize Norton with 2 SFTS between November 1940 and April 1941 but l can find no details at Kew or anywhere else.

I know On 29th December 1940 at 11.00AM, Leading Aircraftman Ken Fenton was involved in an accident involving Airspeed Oxford R6357, whose engine cut out on a low flying exercise. The aircraft was turning to port when the engine started to vibrate seriously and lost power, the pilot, P/O D Iveson, was unable to regain lateral level and height from the turn, the aircraft lost height and struck a tree before striking the ground and crashed near Tadpole Bridge, 2 miles South of Bampton, Oxfordshire. Does anyone know where this happened?

Obviously linked to Tadpole Bridge as described here. Have you seen the web site 'Derelition of the Shires' which also descibes describes this decoy airfield.

Regards,

Nick

Default Re: Ride past RAF Broadwell every day - newb from Oxfordshire

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to say. I see you're up my neck of the woods, or what was before I moved to Sweden.

Broadwell/Brize was just about the limit of my exploration into Oxfordshire back in the 80's/90's so I was lucky to see Broadwell before it changed too much and started to get dug up.

I'm planning a big 3 week long trip home this June and hope to take a mooch round Broadwell, Windrush and a few others to see what's changed since I was a kid.

Page 311 of 454 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411 ... LastLast

Thread Information