Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LECONFIELD - RAF Memorial at Normandy Barracks

Default LECONFIELD - RAF Memorial at Normandy Barracks

This is the memorial inside the former RAF Leconfield. The framework is part of the former hangar 4, now demolished, and is dedicated to all those that served at Leconfield since 1937.

The silhouettes represent the key aircraft based at Leconfield - Whiteley, Spitfire, Halifax, Wellington​, Lighning and Hunter

The memorial was dedicated on 5 September 2007
    from Driffield Today:-

A NEW memorial to the brave Royal Air Force personnel of the Second World War will be dedicated today during a special ceremony to mark 70 years of operational flying at Leconfield.

Back in the Second World War, an aircraft from the Luftwaffe, believed to be a Junkers JU 88, attacked RAF Leconfield. It machine gunned Hangar and it is believed that the defenders of the airfield, which was then a fighter station, returned the fire.

Some years passed and the incident was forgotten until the hangar, which was used as a base by E Flight 202 Squadron RAF (Search and Rescue), was being demolished. The 'A' frame was discovered and Alan Bakewell, the Conservation Officer at the Defence School of Transport in Normandy Barracks, decided to retain the whole 'A' Frame in situ for posterity as the centre-piece of a memorial garden.
    These photos were taken in November 2009

Nov09 024.jpg Nov09 025.jpg Nov09 026.jpg Nov09 027a.jpg Nov09 028.jpg Nov09 029.jpg Nov09 030.jpg Nov09 031a.jpg Nov09 032.jpg

I have a personal interest in this as my father served as a Navigator on Halifax's with 640 squadron flying from Leconfield in 1944-1945

kevin

Default Re: RAF Leconfield Memorial

What it implies in the quotation above but does not say is that several bullet holes can be clearly seen in the metal frame . I visited 202 Squadron last year and have some close up photos of the bullet holes and individual plaques which I will post up . Unfortunately there is no public access to the memorial other than on pre-arranged visits . You can clearly see the hangar base on GE and the memorial garden at its SE corner .
    Nearby and with public access is St Catherines Church on Aram Road in Leconfield village , and again visible on GE , which has an RAF Leconfield memorial window and chapel within it with a new airfield memorial planned for the near future .
    I would recommend the book Halifax Squadron The Wartime Bombing Operations of 640 Squadron , Leconfield by Bill Norman ,
    see here ; http://www.billnorman.co.uk/ which also lists all those who flew with 640 both by trade and crew as well as several wartime photos of Leconfield so hopefully Kevin your dad will be included too ?

its a good memorial garden as my work mates was involved in the design and planting of it

thanks rich

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson View Post
    I would recommend the book Halifax Squadron The Wartime Bombing Operations of 640 Squadron , Leconfield by Bill Norman ,
    see here ; http://www.billnorman.co.uk/ which also lists all those who flew with 640 both by trade and crew as well as several wartime photos of Leconfield so hopefully Kevin your dad will be included too ?
    It is remarkable that a squadron which existed for such a short time has so much written about it. I have copies of both versions of Bill Normans excellent book, the original of which was written with the co-operation of the 640 squadron association, and also a copy of a less well known book called "99 percent luck" which originates from the Austrailian members of the squadron. Some of the exploits of my fathers crew on an op to Chemnitz are also narrated in "Raider" by Geoffery Jones. My father, like many, rarely talked about his time on Ops.

My brother and I were made honourary members of the association, which is sadly now defunct. I was in contact with some members of my fathers crew but I believe they are all gone now.

So, created originaly for the rest of my family, but if you are interested there are some picasaweb albums relating to my fathers war service here:-

Dads Logbook
    Dads Medals
    Dads Photos includes his aiming photos maps, crew photos, etc
    Other Photos & Documents relating to Dad
    45 Air school, South Africa where he did his training

kevin
    Last edited by netcompsys; 26-04-2012 at 22:59.

Default LECONFIELD - RAF Memorial at Normandy Barracks

Photos taken by and sent to me by David Thompson

Default Re: LECONFIELD - RAF Memorial at Normandy Barracks

See Also
    http//www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?8500-RAF-Leconfield-Memorial

(or Merge)

- Merged

See also the 640 squadron memorial in Beverley Memorial Gardens

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...l=1#post102513

kevin
    Last edited by netcompsys; 22-12-2012 at 15:46.

Thanks Kevin! Didn't see the thread! Excelelnt set of photos of yours as well. Thanks again

What was your father's name ? and who is it that has organised this group and the memorial ?

Ken Oakes

My father was Des Turner, he was the Navigator on Dick English's crew

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

edit :Not sure what you mean by "organised" and "group"

kevin
    Last edited by netcompsys; 25-04-2013 at 20:48.

Ken
    Are you related to TL Oakes , a mid-upper gunner with 640 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information