Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cranfield

Default Re: Cranfield

I was told that there's a whole section on the web about this german craft over the Thames...couldn't find it.. And yes ! Believe it or not, I was working today despite all the side-tracking. !!

tigger

Default Cranfield - 27-04-2012

Quick note to say thanks to all involved for another excellent trip. Very friendly and informative. Weather let us down a bit so please try to book better weather next time Chris!

edit: 344 mile road miles (including side visit to Alconbury) and the journey back was horrific

Default Re: Cranfield - 27-04-2012

Yes a really good visit, enjoyed it immensely. Agree about the travelling though, truly awful weather.

Group pic should appear shortly.

Some photos from Cranfield on 27 April 2012.

1 - Taxiway resurfacing

2 - C-Type Hangar

3 - AMQ's

4 - Another C-Type Hangar

5 - Fire Tender Shed / NFE Store. Due to be demolished soon

6 - Dassault Falcon

7 - King Air

8 - Old photo of Cranfield

9 - Control Tower

10 - Group photo. L-R: Michael Mortimer, Unidentifield Swirl!, norwichpaul, CDP, tigger, Jim Hope, NJR, Chas Parker and myself.

Huge thanks to Daniel Jackson and LaFarge for making this trip possible for the ARG.

Nice shots. The Dassault Falcon has been sold and will be replaced by a Global Express. All them trucks constantly go past the office I work in (for handling and maintenance) The work on the hangar and taxiway/apron isn't far from complete. Did anyone show you around or was you given permission to walk around by the tower?

Hi captainflynn23, it was an organised tour by one of the senior guys at Lafarge who is an ARG member, a brilliant day despite the damp conditions! Everyone we met there was excellent and couldn't have been more accomodating.

Do you have any updated phtos of the taxiway resurfacing work?

Oh thats cool Sounds like you had a good time, sorry the weather wasn't so good for you though. At the moment i've got no pics of the current work, however, I will get some over the next week for you. I was told that things were 1 week behind schedule which isn't too bad though.
    I'll take some pics the next time i'm in work and upload them throughout the course of the week.

SuperMod

It could be the fact that it's been pi****g down all day which is why it's been quiet, however it could be that they've finished. Certainly the bit outside Hangar 2 is done.

It's nearly done, but today they were working outside on the taxiway near the hangar. I never took pics as they were drilling certain areas and thats a loud and annoying sound and we were ever so busy in work today.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Just looking at the picture of the college of aeronautics fleet, is that an MS762 Paris I see or is it something similar?
    I was a student at the C of A 1957-1959, my recollection is (which may be faulty after 55 years) that the Paris was being used by Aero students on some research project. The engine failed and was deemed a total write-off. Buying a new engine (Turbomecca Marbore comes to mind) was financially out-of-reach, so it sat there. It never flew again while I was in attendance.

Another interesting thing about the subject photograph. There appear to be two DeH Doves. There was only one when I was there, it had formerly been Winston Churchill's personal aircraft. There was never a Lancaster while I was there, the Aircraft Design Museum did have the Avro Lincoln prototype, which doesnt appear in the pictures of the collection.

Sorry about the belated response, I only today stumbled on the site.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information