Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walsall / Aldridge

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Walsall Municipal Airport (Aldridge)

Thanks for the personal story Lowe. The Linley Caverns RAF bomb store was abandoned before it came into full use due to continuous rockfalls and flooding. I think the surface above was used more than below for a while hence the hut remains and small hangar.

That's a superb piece of reminiscence about an airfield whose history has always been rather obscure. Thanks for posting!

That's really brought the written details and photos of the airfield to life Lowe. Thanks - and welcome to the group

Linley Wood appears to be up for sale...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 06-05-2012 at 23:12.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

'Subject to Planning Permission'

Your link to Google Earth/Map shows the site to the north (formerly part of the surface storage) to have a 'U Can Store It Self Storage so perhaps it will go underground!

Default Re: Walsall / Aldridge

I've never visited this site, but I'm amazed that it has largely survived intact without being built all-over. A friends father used to manage both this and Wolverhampton Airport at different times and worked at Castle Brom' before and during the war. I think the Aero Club at Walsall was the South Staffordshire Aero Club, which I presume folded when Walsall closed. There were however close links with Elmdon, as when Walsall, Castle Brom' and Wolverhampton closed, quite a bit of their activity inevitable migrated to Elmdon. Certainly, the MAC (Midland Aero Club.) moved from Castle Brom' to Elmdon.

Here is a nice image of Walsall airfield, c/o Britain from above, and EH

What a great photo... There are even some Gypsies parked-up on the verge....!
    Last edited by Snoopy; 15-02-2014 at 14:43.

In the mid 1940's the area to the side of the hangar in the left of the photo.was full of Bostons,Spitfires and Seafires.I used to take long lingering looks at them from the bus [ which went far too quickly for me!]

Quote Originally Posted by papajuliet View Post
    In the mid 1940's the area to the side of the hangar in the left of the photo.was full of Bostons,Spitfires and Seafires.I used to take long lingering looks at them from the bus [ which went far too quickly for me!]
    Did you take any photos though...?!?!

Hi,
    i would like to add to the thread, that actuatly TWO remaining buildings exist on the Aldridge site, and the Second is hidden, partly destroyed by Walsall council/farmer's attempt the demolish it.The concrete roof is missing because of this 'work'.
    The strange thing is that nowhere seems to make any mention of this building, which i have known about since my teens. No photo's of it- nothing about its history or what it was used for.
    What is this building?? it is a Pillbox with a lower level, and possibly other burred sections which i think would be interesting to discover.
    I believe the pillbox room had small windows in it, and was accessed from a room directly beneath it.But oddly the rooms i found do not have any signs of access to the pillbox, so i guess there was another room, perhaps accessed from one of the blocked exits i found, or maybe a separate entry shaft?. As i found another blocked manhole which didnt link to the rooms.

I would like to see the building preserved, clleared out of all the .... and some sort of plaque which mentions about the history of the airfield etc.

Im reluctant to disclose the exact location as i dont want the site damaged or put under threat.

I have personally entered part of the lower level and the structure is very intact, although full of rubble,dirt,rubbish and about 1 foot of water.
    Maybe someone has more knowledge on this find, or even photos, as ive only got photos of how it looks now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information