Thread: Unipower Forester - RAF and BAA

Default Unipower Forester - RAF and BAA

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Unipower Forester ballast tractor. It started it's life with the RAF and then was transferred to the board of trade, ending up at Heathrow. It finished it's days there in the late 1990's and the next owner kept it in dry storage. It has a chassis number of 450 according to the paperwork and the engine dates it to around the end of 1958. I've checked with the RAF for the original record card and this no longer exists. We are still a bit unsure of build date, although we know she transferred to the board of trade in 1962 when she was first road registered. I am particularly after any information about her, photos etc... and also an idea of the type of jobs she would have done whilst with the RAF and with the Board of Trade. Below is a photo of how she looks now.

The Unipower's RAF registration was 40AT79 and very close to Antarmike's old Antar.

Thanks
    Ed

Default Re: Unipower Forester - RAF and BAA

Hopefully some of the vehicle guys will be able to help you. What an odd looking vehicle though, almost toy like.

IIRC Unipower still exists or did so until recently. Its possible that their records survive.

Unip[ower are now part of the Alvis group I think ?? AT of that era was Airfield Construction or Civil Engineering ( Works) vehicles and self propelled plant . on the demi9se of RAF ACB most of its assets went to the REs or to other Ministries mosly the Min of Public Buildings and Works which is where Antar Mikes Antar went. I have some MPBW data will see if there is and hand over notes for this type.

Unipower were taken over by AC cars in the 1970's. The Unipower was later revived for the remains of Scammell that Alvis bought. Sadly Unipower again met it's demise after the political decision to buy American Oshkosh tank transporters instead of the Unipower.

Do you know what sort of kit it would have towed when used by Airfield Construction section?

Ed

Thread Information