Page 316 of 452 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 4516

Thread: Welcome - please introduce yourself here.

Smile My name is Joan Barker

As a girl I lived almost opposite the airfield at Elsham on an isolated farm called Top Farm Elsham. I walked to and from Elsham school daily passing the bombers parked on their circles. The young chaps crawling around the fuselage waved to me and it was a sad day if one of the circles was empty. The hospital was on the roadside before reaching the actual airfield from our place and I often saw stretchers passing in and out of the building which inspired me to take up nursing later.
    Some of the RAF lads came in on a Sunday evening sometimes for some home comforts and one Ernest somebody played our piano for a sing song. One was Clifford Greenbank and another young chap Lesley Oldroyd who kept in touch until he died about three or four years ago. I remember so much about those days.
    Joan nee Shearsmith.

Default hi from sussex

hi all, must say what amazing site!! Having looked through the site so many time i thought i would sign up.
    I have a passion for all WW2 and cold war sites, from pillboxs to bunkers. Even my kids join me on visits now.

Default Re: My name is Joan Barker

Hello Joan, Welcome to the forum. What a great account of a daily routine for you, and, no-doubt, some of your school friends. Also the experience of having some of the aircrew as visitors. Are you still around the area, Lincolnshire is one of my favorite places.. Any other stories are very welcome. Many thanks for the above. Paul.

Hello Joan i used to visit the Gregory family in the control tower over many years from the mid Seventies until the Eighties.
    I always loved exploring around the old airfield . Moreen & Les would always make people welcome particuarly ex Raf Personel who were stationd there . Ive met some of them when reuions where taking place . I must say i found it always fasinating . The stories of the ghost in the tower they saw & of the night mare one of their sons used to have of a Lancaster bomber in trouble were realy fasinating . Now most of the airfield as gone so your story adds an other little bit of history to what life was like on an RAF Bomber base & welcome again to the forum . Regards ,Bomber .

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX Joan, and thanks for the personal story which adds greatly to the human side of WW2 airfields.

Default Re: hi from sussex

Hi blue, welcome to AiX. I grew up in Sussex, now living in Suffolk. What are your local sites of interest?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX blue, keep the kids at it too contemporary history need not be boring.

Welcome to the forum. Some 1946 aerial photos of parts of Sussex are available to view online (can't recall thi site as I am a work) you will need a fast connection as they are large.

University of Sussex maybe?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I live in Haywards heath so am interested in anything local.
    Have spent a little time over at ford and found a few underground bits. Fuel pump rooms mainly.
    have done a few sites across the south mainly dover and Wiltshire.

My kids enjoy hunting places down and any history we can find.

Welcome to the forum Joan. Sadly for most of us born in the decades after the war our memories tend to be less exiting - or so my kids tell me. They prefer listening to their grandad's stories of wartime factories and Home Guard duties.

Page 316 of 452 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416 ... LastLast

Thread Information