Thread: Inskip (Elswick) / HMS Nightjar

Default Inskip (Elswick) / HMS Nightjar

I have noted here a total of 32 hangars originally built, 16 Sqn hangars and 16 storage hangars. What ype of hangars were they? Can anyone confirm the number is correct?

Thanks

Default Re: Inskip (Elswick) / HMS Nightjar

'Military Airfields' by Willis and Hollis also quote 16 plus 16 . In TMAofB Delve mentions that a number of Type S 'sheds' were in use and a photograph on page 149 of the same book shows the Station Flight in front a hangar noted as E4 , I think it may be a A Main type ?

In his book Lancashire Airfields in the Countryside series Aldon Ferguson states that there were 32 Mainhill hangars , 60x70' for squadron and storage use - same measurement also noted by Willis and Hollis , plus two Callender Hamilton hangars used for aircraft maintenance .
    Last edited by David Thompson; 23-05-2012 at 11:01. Reason: Extra info added

Thanks David, the Willis & Hollis was one of my sources, I think its fairly safe to say 32 were built there. Thanks for the confirmation.

The two Admiralty handbooks quote 16 storage + 16 squadron Mains, 60 x 70 x 17.

The two Callenders are:
    ARS hangar - 185 x 110 x 25
    Rescue Servicing hangar 185 x 100 x 25 ft.

The ranges are:
    One Air to Air
    Two Practice Bombing, on submarine silhouette in brick, one sub silhouette on 32 ft moored target
    One Bombing - 16 ft moored target
    One Torpedo
    One RP Range

Hadn't realised that this airfield was originally called Elswick. That was also the name of an RN Shipyard and Engineering site on Tyneside.
    Last edited by Carnaby; 23-05-2012 at 18:11. Reason: More info

Thread Information