Page 318 of 452 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368418 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 4516

Thread: Welcome - please introduce yourself here.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Hi from Hugh

Welcome Hugh from another expat.

I was also RAF Armament Fitter 1959 - 1970 and did 3 years with BD (5131 Sqn) on both Debden and Bicester flights.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: New Norfolk member checking in

Welcome Ben,

You are fortunate in that Norfolk is well covered here:

http://historic-maps.norfolk.gov.uk/?PID=4

Smile law340 intro

Hi there. My name is Larry and I reside at Ryarsh in Kent. I have lived in this area all my life and from a very young age I have had a keen interest in aviation, particularly in West Malling airfield where I can remember seeing all manner of aircraft over the years(more than I care to think about!!) My first real memory is of Javelins of 85 squadron flying over our house to land, (we were directly under the flight path) indeed, I remember one such time when the Javelins were so low that the house vibrated with the thunderous noise, I absolutely loved it! The main focus of my memory however was when the US navy resided there in the early sixties, there was such a variety of aircraft, too many to mention. it was pure heaven to me. I spent many happy hours in an old water tower situated on the approach in the woods where I would gaze in awe as a Hercules would fly so low over my head that I felt I could just reach out and touch it!! Happy days!
    I have many interests besides aviation. I am very keen on natural history, and I am a volunteer rescuer for two local wildlife hospitals. I love pop and rock music, and I am currently trying to learn to play the guitar. (with very little success!) I am also a very keen plastic kit modeller, having won several competitions at my local model club. I have currently set myself the task of making as many types as possible in the markings that they would have worn whilst based at West Malling. So far I have managed to make 2!! A neptune P2V-7 of the US Navy as photographed in 1963, and a Hawker Typhoon 1b of No3 Squadron based at Malling in 1943. This is where I am hoping that this website may come in useful, so any photos will be gratefully received!
    I think I have gabbed on long enough, so I look forward to hearing from any of you who share my enthusiasm.

Default Hi from Mark.

Living in Sussex, but raised in East Anglia. As a child of the 50's and 60's, I was bought up on a mixture of War Picture Libraries (remember them?) and Boys Own magazines. I lived with my mother near Rattlesden airfield and we were not far from Wattisham. I used to watch the Black Arrows practising occasionally overhead. Visits to Honington (Mum was in WVS) were regular, and a paying guest was an RAF Victor crew member during the cold war. My interest in aircraft (and airfields) has continued, and finding this forum has awakened a lot of memories!

Default Re: Hi from Mark.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have lots of memories to add to the various airfield threads.

Default Re: law340 intro

Welcome to the forum. I once cycled to West Malling from Eltham in the early 1970s. We had to make our way back as soon as we arrived but we did see the empty airfield from the western end.

Default Re: Hi from Hugh

Welcome to the forum Hugh. Death Valley? Anything above 10c and I get cranky

Default Re: law340 intro

I actually worked at the airfield from 1983 to 1988 with a firm called Metair. We were spraying the exterior and fitting the interiors to Saab 340 short haul airliners that were flown direct from the factory in Sweden. I was involved with the interiors, and I went on as many test flights as I could (which was quite a few). Alas, the council sold the site to Rouse to be developed in the late 80s, and it has now become a bricks and mortar jungle that we see today.

Default Re: New Norfolk member checking in

Cool,thanks for the link.

Default Re: Hi from Mark.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum! I did it the other way round, raised in Sussex in the Uckfield area, now living in East Anglia, near Diss!!

Page 318 of 452 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368418 ... LastLast

Thread Information