Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A New Centralised Home for the ARG Archive

Default A New Centralised Home for the ARG Archive

I am very pleased to announce that ARG has recently acquired a large room at Alconbury Airfield which we will be using as a storage facility, mainly confined to maps, airfield plans, building drawings and books. Our room is adjacent to the RAF Alconbury archive which ARG have been compiling and cataloguing. At present our room is being fitted out with second-hand racking and once this has been completed, a start will be made on bringing over the archives. The room is held on a renewable license every six months. At the moment electricity is free, there are toilets in the building but no hot water and there is no heating available so we will be buying two electric oil-heaters. There is a working fire alarm and fire extinguishers and broadband internet access will be available shortly.

In addition to housing the archive, the room (or others in the same building) can be used for meetings, including film and slide shows. It is currently available only to ARG members, and it is hoped that members will be able to assist in cataloguing the collection before the archives can be made available for research and copying. Access is strictly by photographic ID.
    If anyone has either airfield or building industry archives that they are willing to donate, then please contact us as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

AiX-ARG Archive Ltd
    Last edited by Paul Francis; 11-12-2013 at 20:55.

Default Re: A New Centralised Home for the ARG Archive

Thanks David. Here is a pic of the interior of the empty room, before Paul B cleaned the floor!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The racking is starting to go into the room and the process of moving the archives to the new home at Alconbury has begun!

Last edited by Alex Brown; 19-02-2013 at 13:02. Reason: Spelling

No wood is OK, The room is now being populated with archives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Large Van

Job done today ! Very good to meet Paul Francis at Uxbridge this morning, and Paul Bellamy at Alconbury this afternoon, who helped with the unloading. Photographs at Alconbury.
    Last edited by airfields man; 14-08-2012 at 17:11.

Many thanks to Rob Bray and Paul Bellamy on Monday at Alconbury. We got the first four shelving units that were brought over from Uxbridge set up.

As you can see I have started bringing the back issue stock of Airfield Review to Archive Alconbury, freeing up more space in my house!!

I must add my thanks to Paul Cannon who kindly let us have the use of his van to bring the racking units up to Alconbury with on Saturday.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 16-08-2012 at 00:24.

Spent the afternoon at Alconbury with Arcade Al and P Bellamy and we managed to get another shelving unit up stacked it full of bits!! Good to meet up with Dan Whitelock too.

Thanks for all your help as always chaps!

And a few photos from Wednesday 3 October.

Paul Bellamy (P Bellamy), Paul Francis (norwichpaul), Alan Wood (Bomber), Chris Flagg and Richard Flagg (REF)

Couple of views of the room

Taken by BOMBER -
    An Archive room 'action shot'

Update froM Team Alconbury. Photos taken on my last visit on 26 January 2013.

Another Room

Last edited by Paul Francis; 11-12-2013 at 20:57.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information