Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mablethorpe Offshore Structure

Default Re: Mablethorpe Offshore Structure

Thanks Gents.

PETERTHEEATER, the Humber forts had been discounted due to line of sight and distance. The Sea Forts that you refer to in the second thread had tripod support structures and were based along the southern coast. I cannot find any reference to similar structures on the east coast in the vicinity of Mablethorpe. Thanks anyway.

In my search for an answer, I visited the site: http://WWW.raf-lincolnshire.info/the...ddlethorpe.htm. The second paragraph of that article states:-

Used as an Airweapons Range in the 1970's, Theddlethorpe consisted of two large wooden structures mounting large Radar Reflecting Targets at the North and South ends of the beachfront. A retard bomb target consisting of a derelict Comet Mk IV Tank, a derelict 3 tonner laden with oil drums constituted the SNEB Rocket Target and 16x16ft scaffolding and Hessian Screens made up the 30mm Aden Gun Strafe Targets. There was a small ATC 'Tower' emplaced on the edge of the dunes to coordinate and control Air Traffic and firing sorties.

Would I be correct in the belief that these wooden structures would be situated some distance from the shore line?

Have checked the Theddlethorpe thread on this forum and it shows structures with that pyramid on top but, the support structure on close examination would seem to be of an earlier construction.

Is it possible that the Theddlethorpe 'large wooden structures' were in fact on those white steel support structures prior to their demise through age/timber rot/weather and replaced by the pyramid style structures in the late 50s. The vehicles shown in the photographs associated with the Theddlethorpe Range as well as the comments would indicate that time frame.

Aha, you may have something there Trevor. I have been looking for the type of target used for Gee-H radar bombing and that is from the late 40's into the 50's. I posted a question on Gee-H a week or so back but got no replies (not that I expected any really) and this may be the elusive Gee-H radar target. I thought they would be quite a way offshore, miles, but it could be a prototype or a proof of concept version.
    Could you post a rough sketch of what your memory recalls it might help? Doesn't have to be accurate, the nearest inch will do

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

OK Trevor; you're getting warmer!

Thanks PETERTHEEATER.

PNK,
    The tyranny of distance and memory come into play re your request for a drawing of the structure. If I said that the structure was a mile out to sea, I would be guessing but one thing I can say for sure; it was always surrounded by water and some distance out or we would have been exploring it in a flash.

Therefore, an accurate description is difficult. The best way to describe my memory is the support structure or stilts was like that of the seaside piers but I could not say whether it was steel or wood. It was not in a tripod shape.

The upper structure is best describe as a garden shed; flat roof and made of wood or metal although I would gamble on it being of a timber construction. Flat-topped and quite possibly 2 storey high with no visible windows. However, there were fittings on the visible sides that could have been shutters that were closed. I am sure that it was square in construction and the support and upper structure were of the same width. The upper structure was clear of the water by some considerable height and which I would estimate at probably 15 foot or even more.

I apologise for such vague estimates but I can tell you one thing, it was not small. It appeared disused and was definitely out to sea. A picture could not have provided you with a better idea of what I saw. If I knew how far out to sea it was, I could provide better estimates of size.

I noted the post by Corij and have sent an e-mail to the Lincolnshire Trust requesting my e-mail be forwarded to the person mentioned by Corij or, other parties who might have knowledge of the early history of Mablethorpe. This may provide closure on the subject.

Thanks again to everybody for their ongoing assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

The only thing I find with recollections is that distance seem compressed and occasionally I get the location totally wrong as two memories get mixed up.

Back to the object in question. My last thought is that it might have been a ship or barge with a superstructure built on top to provide a radar reflection. The ship part being invisible if it was under shallow water and had settled in the sand.

I have Theddlethorpe down to get aerial photo coverage from 1946 to 1955, mainly of special land targets but I could extend it to the sea. That will be later in the summer as I already have a number or requests in the pipeline.

Thanks PNK,
    I have not given up on my search just yet. I would appreciate your aerial coverage out to sea over that time frame. I think I can discount the ship theory. Was definitely a a structure on supports.
    I concur with your thoughts on memory but in this particular case, the only coastal area that we spent time at was Mablethorpe over the 50s before moving to Oz.

www.thesealsanctuary.com , thats the place i mentioned that might have on the ground info, the "our story" bit is a good read
    Last edited by corij; 19-06-2012 at 04:29.

Thanks corij,
    Have just forwarded an e-mail to the Sanctuary.........fingers crossed.
    Regards,
    Trevor

PNK,
    I mentioned a person contacting the Mablethorpe Leader re my e-mail to them about this structure. I have had no reply from the Leader and even on line, can see no letters in reply.
    However, I did get an e-mail from a friend over there who has recently moved to the Mablethorpe area and he said:-

Sent 24 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hello again, well you've made the local paper again,if you have'nt already seen it,someone rang the paper to saying the structures you saw would have been markers on the RAF bombing range apparently there was one on on Mablethorpe north beach and one at Theddlethorpe looking like the end of a pier,hope this clears up the mystery .

Regards
    Trevor

Seems I will now have to find out what they looked like and when they were constructed. I wonder if they were unique to Theddlethorpe? Back to those aerial photos again!
    Thanks for following up on this Trevor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information