Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kings Cliffe

Default Kings Cliffe

Found some pictures that Jakob and I have taken over a few visits and after talking to REF yesterday I thought i'd post them, please forgive the lack of history, however i'll compile a proper report when I find the rest of our pics.

Have'nt really covered the entire area just skirted round it but besides the airfield theres also an old hospital just to the north in a wooded area.

Dispersal pan defenses as seen at Wellingore and many others:

Across the road to the north, part of the dispersed sites, the WAAF site and the sick quaters now riding stables, stores and dereliction.

Further into the woods, there was a few of these:

A fire pool:

And just for you Richard F:

There is also a memorial on site, someone post pictures please?

The control tower and more buildings in the woods, a further trip is planned as this is the nearest to home for me.

Forgot to say, tried many times to contact the owner of the airfield on his home number, left several messages, no joy though, however a public footpath does cross areas of the site.

The owners of the riding school agreed for us to get photos at the time with permission to be granted upon a revisit.
    Last edited by tigger; 07-11-2012 at 20:01. Reason: broken link removed

...Well instead of digging out and posting my old pics of Kings Cliffe from about ten years go...(not that much has changed thankfully!) it seemed a much better idea to meet up with Jerry, his top little lad Jakob and his mate Matt and get some fresh new piccy's so thats exactly what we did. Some new pics here from a great day of airfield hunting! Kings Cliffe being the first port of call......

The old control tower stands in totall isolation.

View inside the old radio room.

We were all pretty knackered after the mammoth walk to the tower but this manky old matress wasn't exactly inviting. Who the hell's been using THAT????

View from the balcony.

Access from the radio room to the roof.

??????!!

A small, in fact very small section of runway here....It's hard to think that p51's, p38's and p47's of the U.S. third Air Force (as well as RAF Spitfires) used to thunder off from here as pretty much all the runways have dissapeared.

....Just a couple more from me there. getting carried away as usual.sorry Jerry!!..I'll let you post a few now

You've just about covered every angle Stevie, however you did'nt get this shot:

The lads in action:

One of the bricks that is starting appear as the control tower crumbles, it's from the Phorpres brick works, in Fletton Peterborough:

We also saw loads of deer, that was nice!

(Photo to follow)

Many thanks to Steve, Jakob and my mate Matt for coming along, next time though, we need a compass, site plan, GPS and a couple bottles of drink? LOL

Jerry

Phorpres was the name of the works in Fletton, Peterborough.

Most brick works pressed the name of the site into them also:

The trade-name Phorpres came about because Fletton Bricks are pressed twice in each direction so that they are literally 'four pressed' if the phrase is pronounced quickly it becomes Phorpres.

I've put this in the Wales and West Mids forum, which includes Northamptonshire.

Had a brief call here myself on Weds 6th Aug, 08.

Jerry we must meet up for a good trawl round here.

NJR

Default RAF Kings Cliffe (By J4cko)

Here are a few pictures from a visit spanner28 and myself made to Kings Cliffe a few months ago. We didnt make it round to the control tower and are keen to contact the land owner to see if a visit is possible, as it isnt on the Bridleway is it? Last time we went there was shooting taking place and didnt really want to be in the wrong place!

Inside the Battle HQ- Im going to go back now i have higher waders, it is flooded to around 3.5 feet. I love the picture of the door, with the top half still hanging from the hinge, but the bottom part has rotted away

Default Re: Kings Cliffe - Short visit - MERGED

sorry about the quality, but long since demolished

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information