Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clayworth Bombing Range

Default Re: Clayworth Bombing Range

Ahh! Sorry, I thought you meant West Burton. (in Notts, where the power station is.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Just to add to PNKs information. Inland practice bombing ranges such as Clayworth had very little infrastructure and were often manned on an 'as required' basis with personnel from the user airfield. So, the only structures would have been two Quadrant Shelters and, possibly, engine driven generator house.

Quadrant Shelters were temporary brick built towers with external access staircase from which the 'bomb spotters' would plot the accuracy of bombing using simple triangulation. They would have looked something like this:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/585167
    I grew up in Clayworth and I can remember playing in the quadrant shelters in the early 1970s. One was only a few minutes walk from the Otter bridge, in the middle of a field West of the canal, perhaps 100 yards or so from the bank. We played there often. The other was some distance away (for a small child) to the South West I think, but I cannot remember exactly where.

There is no sign of the towers on google maps satellite view, and I visited the area a couple of years ago and they were gone.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks for the input.

Can you confirm the type of construction, timber, brick or mixed? Was the observation room on stilts or piles or was it all brick from the ground up?

Further to the info I posted earlier, the range was closed on 10/08/1945. It was cleared for TI dropping eg 1944. The quadrants were at SK 72085 87885 (with arrow) and SK 72526 87100 (unconfirmed).
    It would be nice to confirm the suspected location of the second quadrant and as PETERTHEEATER said also the build type.

Taken in the Summer of 2001, this is the removed remains of one of the towers, of brick/concrete construction.

Splendid, a QS in kit form Do you have the NGR for that one or is it the one with the known location?

Er, not quite. Yet. I pencilled approx locations onto a map at the time, but have lost the map. Somewhere. I'll see what I can do.

Going from memory:

Vertical arrow is the master, horizontal the slave. There is nothing visible at any of the locations today.

Thanks. I had the target and master quadrant marked, I believe with you help, but not the other quadrant, at least not for certain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information