Thread: Killadeas

Default Killadeas

Killadeas Flying Boat Station

How could we forget Killadeas!!

I have attached some pictures here of my visit a few days ago.

First there are some of the Flying Boat Mooring Blocks - Killadeas was used by Catalina Flying Boats rather than the Sunderlands which were at Castle Archdale.

Next is a view of the original buildings which remain on the site and can be seen from the Lake.

Third picture is the jetty at Gublusk Bay which is where is immediately beside Killadeas and is where any damaged Catalina aircraft would have been taken for repair.

The last picture shows a Roll of Honour which is on display in the Lough Erne Yacht Club at Killadeas.

A very atmospheric place - it just oozes its WW2 heritage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 20-08-2012 at 14:28.

Default Re: Killadeas Flying Boat Station

Gublusk Bay huge area.jpgGublusk Bay killadeas in background.jpg
    These 2 pictures show the considerable size of concrete area which remains as it was during WW2.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Killadeas had more buildings than any other RAF establishment or airfield sprawled across the headland and north up Killdeas Bay almost all Nissen and Temporary Brick according to RSP 2679/44.

The area shown on your first image originally had 5 steel constructed hangars into which float-planes could be positioned. The 1944 plan shows these as 'floors and annexes only - removed' The plan copy that I have is poor and identifying the building number for many structures is guesswork and elimination although the Building Schedule is legible.

It is possible that these two structures or remains are extant:

Wasn't Killadeas built by the Americans?

Yes. Killadeas was built by the Americans with local contractors.

I am sure I have a picture of the Pyro Store somewhere - I will have to dig it out.

The 25 yard Range is in a heavily wooded area so I will go digging the next time I am down there.

Thats the huge Concrete Area I photographed where the aircraft were repaired and serviced.

The Air Force Officers used the (Very Impressive) Manor House Hotel on the hill - Which I recommend!!

There was a path around the shoreline to the yacht club but this is locked and private although I was able to see 2 Bomb Stores cut into the hill under the trees where you have them marked on the photograph Peter.

There are also some buildings among the trees directly south of the Hotel which I have photographed previously.

This is a really interesting site.

I am sure I have a picture of the Pyro Store somewhere - I will have to dig it out.

Shown on RSP as Bldg 525 - R.U. Pyrotechnic Store Type A 1486/43. I have seen this in Nissen and Permanent Concrete with earth traverses on three sides and should be interested to see a photo of the Killadeas example.

The 25 yard Range is in a heavily wooded area so I will go digging the next time I am down there.

Shown on the RSP as Bldg 103 Machine Gun & Cannon Range 25 yard 4 place 1926/43

There was a path around the shoreline to the yacht club but this is locked and private although I was able to see 2 Bomb Stores cut into the hill under the trees where you have them marked on the photograph Peter.

The original Bomb and Ammo Stores to service water-borne aircraft was on the north edge of the peninsula and (I presume) stores on the southwest corner of Hay Island opposite.

The two Bomb Stores that you saw are listed as Bldgs 83 and 84 Bomb Store (50 ton) Steel traversed 4868/43. There were two separate SAA Stores between them. On Hay Island there were two more Bomb Stores, a Component Store and a Practice Bomb Store.

I am fascinated that this site was built by the US Navy(?) What aircraft types did they operate and, can you recommend a history?

EDIT: I found this quick history from which I assume that many facilities were built by US servicemen but used by RAF Coastal Command. The photograph makes a nice comparison with yours.

http://www.leyc.net/downloads/RAF%20...20&%20LEYC.pdf
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 27-06-2012 at 05:33.

There are 2 pages about it in "The Military Airfields of Britain. Scotland and Northern Ireland" edition by Ken Delve.

Also "Home Away From Home. The Yanks in Ireland" by Mary Pat Kelly has some information and a couple of pictures.

There will probably be more that I am not currently aware of.

Thanks, I will find more in due course but now have some idea of the history.

Here is a image taken at Killadeas in 1945 off Short Sunderland W 6006

C/O Krul

Thread Information