Thread: Newark Rowing Club Building being demolished

Default Newark Rowing Club Building being demolished

Just noticed this in the local press, anyone have any additional information on what it originally was used for, or where it came from please, I've been past there hundreds of times but can't picture it, http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/ar...at-rowing-club

Here are photos on the Planning Application http://www.nsdc.info/eplanning/defau...o=11/00996/CAC
    Last edited by jack russell; 29-06-2012 at 08:02. Reason: Additional info

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Newark Rowing Club Building being demolished

It is a timber hut and, if it is of WW2 vintage may never have had a military function but always been in commercial use:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farnd...99.77,,0,14.12

Thanks Peter, so do you think it's likely the story it was bought from the Canadian Air Force has just got slightly twisted over the years?

Not at all. It looks like one that I lived in at Chivenor and it is quite possible that it came from elsewhere such as a WW2 airfield post-war.

Looking at it in GE it appears to be around 18 feet span and 80 odd feet long which could make it a Type Y.

There were more military airfields than you could shake a stick at around Newark during WW2 so perhaps at least one of them was occupied by Canadian Air Force giving rise to the rumour.

The Type A hut - a better quality predecessor - was clad in Canadian cedar so maybe there is an association

Thanks Peter, it's obviously served them well for many years!

Just been told it came from the Hawton Road Camp, which lay on the site of the old Newark Golf Club between Hawton Road Newark and the River Devon and apparently could house 5000 people, I know nothing about this site, so not sure if the Canadian Air Force link makes sense at all?

A WWII army camp situated around SK788522, the Grange Rd area. Royal Engineers I think, Bailey bridges etc. Sorry I can't put my map up at the mo' but there is something in the Old Maps webpage, circa 1960. I would expect a Canadian link only if it came from Langar.

A 1956 OS map shows what appears to be a hutted camp here; now overbuilt with housing:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=18&oz=9&gt=1

Just a short distance away so a very likely source.

Yes that all makes sense now, as does the road name there 'Fairway', I didn't make the connection before to the original Newark Golf Club. I do vaguely remember seeing an old photo of this camp somewhere, possibly in a local history book, but can't find it online anywhere. So as you say that's a very likely source for the building, but more unlikely for the Candian RAF link would you say? I have contacted the president through a friend to see if any more information is available but he doubts it.

This type of timber hut was made by Gerrard & Sons of Swinton, Manchester from very early war and supplied in large quantities to the military. Often seen on site plans as 'Gerrard Hut' Fairly easily struck down and reassembled elsewhere. The length could be increased by adding more bays. That one is long so could be two or more huts joined. I'm not sure what the original roofing was, probably tarred felt or similar.

Thread Information