Thread: BOTTESFORD - Church of St Mary the Virgin

Default BOTTESFORD - Church of St Mary the Virgin

Noticed this plaque in the above Church in reference to RAF Bottesford

Walking tour of Bottesford 020.jpg

Also, and not sure if this is strictly true, and I couldn't find any evidence of this but the light was going fast... "‘Bottesford is also reputedly the last place in Britain to be bombed by the Luftwaffer. Late in 1945, a plane came over and dropped its cannons at the church and was chased away and shot down. There are still marks in the church brickwork."
    Last edited by jack russell; 10-07-2012 at 17:08. Reason: Additional information

Default Re: Plaque in St Mary the Virgin Church, Bottesford, Leics

Many thanks for showing that Jack, I wonder how long ago that was dedicated. Must admit, that I never thought to call at the church during my visit's to Bottesford. Nice-one.

Not sure, it was pointed out to me on the way out of the Church so I just grabbed a quick photo, I spotted a book in a case as well so there could be other Memorial information there as well. If you get chance do call in, a quite amazing place and I'm sure things I missed in my rush.

I didn't know there was any evidence of cannon fire at the church. AFAIK, just the signal box outside the village was shot at.

Our guide had been told it was the East End that was hit, granted a lot of it had been repaired, and as usual I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but I could only see very small indentations, perhaps if someone's passing they could check it out please. Then again it could be a local rumour!

Just called in again, and the Church was open, so took some photos of the two glass display cabinets and they do contain books of Remembrance. Strange that Sgt Broemeling is on one of the pages that's open, he's buried here in Long Bennington and was a Rear Gunner who died of oxygen starvation. I had another look at the East End and photographed the only thing I could see that may been damage caused by cannon fire, but have no idea what I should be looking for so apologies if it's obviously nothing like.
    Walking tour of Bottesford 036.jpg Walking tour of Bottesford 030.jpg Walking tour of Bottesford 031.jpg Walking tour of Bottesford 032.jpg Walking tour of Bottesford 034.jpgWalking tour of Bottesford 035.jpg

Nice hands!

Cheeky : ) That was all I had with me for a rough idea of scale! Anyway....what do you think, is it possible or not likely?

Thread Information