Thread: Air Transport Auxiliary

Default Air Transport Auxiliary

Can any one offer some help. I am trying to find out more about ATA Aston Down. My Uncle was based there in December 1943, but I have no knowledge of whether he was a pilot, engineer or just ground staff. As well as a pointer to any information about ATA Aston Down, I would also be very grateful for any pointer/help on finding a list of all staff of the ATA.

Default Re: Air Transport Auxiliary

I would recommend the book 'Brief Glory , The Story OF ATA' by EC Cheesman , published by Harborough in 1946 , price 15/- ! Original copies are a bit pricey but I think it has been reprinted since then but it is the book on the ATA . It details individual ferry pools , strangley except Aston Down and lists all known ATA aircrew .
    You don't give your uncles name ?

All the main ATA archives are now being moved over to the Maidenhead Heritage Centre (due to White Waltham's proximity). Information is a little slow at being passed forward (can be up to 20 days) info@maidenheadheritage.org.uk

http://www.atamuseum.org/
    Last edited by Jenna; 01-08-2012 at 19:02.

Thanks for your help, His name was R H Harmer. I will try and track the book down thanks David. I have already sent a request for any info to the Maidenhead Heritage Centre, but will wait patiently.

Reginald Harry Harmer is listed as a First Officer in the list of Ferry Pilots and aircrew who flew operational aircraft at the ATA Pools. This from the book "Brief Glory"

A bit more about the ATA system of ranks. To be a First Officer, the pilot had either to have Class 5 qualifications, (ie 4 engined aircraft), or have been a Second Officer for at least 18 months and have attained at least Class 4 qualifications, (advanced twin-engined aircraft).
    Rank markings were two broad stripes.
    This from another great ATA book - "The Forgotten Pilots, by Lettice Curtis
    Aston Down was home to No.9 Ferry Pilots Pool.

Try contacting the Maidenhead Heritage Centre at www.atamuseum.org Splendid group of volunteers who have many records of ATA personnel and memorabilia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bevan View Post
    Can any one offer some help. I am trying to find out more about ATA Aston Down. My Uncle was based there in December 1943, but I have no knowledge of whether he was a pilot, engineer or just ground staff. As well as a pointer to any information about ATA Aston Down, I would also be very grateful for any pointer/help on finding a list of all staff of the ATA.

Thanks everyone for your help. The Maidenhead Heritage Centre have been fantastic. They have been able to give me a lot of detail about my Uncle, and even better had a Travel Permit issued to him, which has his photo on it. Now I am going to contact the RAF Museum (who have the service records of ATA personnel)

There was something this week on the Today programme about a new book on women ATA pilots.

Female WWII Spitfire Joy Lofthouse: Nothing was scary

The Female Few: Spitfire Heroines of the Air Transport Auxilaiary.

Thread Information