Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Graveley

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Graveley

Quote Originally Posted by P Bellamy View Post
    The bomb dump perimeter fence at Graveley shows up very well in that GE image.
    Yes, we always seem to notice fencing on USAAF occupied airfields. Perhaps they imported barbed wire from the USA and were able to use triple rolls. Wouldn't stop the British Army of course. Plenty of WW2 images of Tommy Atkins flinging himself across the wire face down and letting the rest of his platoon run over his back!

For the first time ever i watched tonight the film Robbery, i now know that it was filmed here but what of the 'bunker' where the gang hid? Did such a place exist?

Having seen jasons post this morning, I watched the ending of the film Robbery, this afternoon and would like to say that I'm pretty sure that the control tower shown is not Graveley! Having worked in the control tower in the 1960's I know that the top of the tower had a large glass local control room and the one in the film is a derelict small square room so could not have been on the top of the Graveley tower!

Here's a few pics from a recent visit to Graveley -

Cheers
    Steve

Superb photographs there Steve. I have been past there loads of times but have never stopped for a good look around. I shall have to make the effort next time, possibly this thursday... Good also to see that the memorial is still looking ok.

Thanks Paul. Access onto the main site where the remains of the runways, peri, tower etc are is now off limits without priar permission from the land owner due to the windfarm that's being built on there. Apparently he's fine about people going on there providing they get in touch with him first according to one of his staff who we spoke to yesterday. Alan (Bomber) took the landowner contact details off the guy we spoke to so give him a shout and i'm sure he'll foreward them onto you mate if you need them. Suprisingly quite a lot still survives here. Much more than i was expecting. Definitely worth a look.

Cheers
    Steve

My Grandad who passed away earlier this year was based here for a few months during 1943.
    He was part of the RAF Regiment (he in fact joined when it was formed in 1942) and was responsible for Airfield Defence, he manned a bofor gun and was camped on the outer edges of the airfield.
    The area where he was camped would be manned by 5 people and they made a hut from packing cases to keep out of the worst weather. As my Grandad was brought up in the country he would earn extra smokes and money by catching rabbits for the other guys to take home when they were on leave.
    I would sit for hours when i'd visit him and my Nanny listening to is stories of the days he served in the RAF.
    In 2005 we took him back to Graveley (as well as Upwood, Wyton and Warboys, his other postings) and on the way he mentioned that there was a cafe and garage on the main road near the turning to the airfield which there still was, he took us to the area where he was based manning the defences and it was there that he relayed this story. History, alive.
    One day a rookie armourer did what you should never do, whilst winding in a fuse it became cross-threaded and he unwound it out with the intention of putting it back in again. He never got that far as it exploded killing him and throwing the WAAF unhurt from the tractor which was parked nearby the fusing shed, the blast path crossed the airfield making a path in the grass , two guys sitting in a shed in the blasts path were killed, they had been playing cards inside it and were suffocated it was if the air had been sucked out of them as the were otherwise uninjured.
    Last edited by jason; 27-08-2012 at 18:29.

Nice post Jason, thanks for sharing that. Also nice pics Stevie, you have had a busy weekend!

Agreed. Interesting post there Jase. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks bigbear. It has been a busy few days. Waddo tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    Agreed. Interesting post there Jase. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks bigbear. It has been a busy few days. Waddo tomorrow
    Git!

I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information