Thread: Smith's Lawn

Default Smith's Lawn

Just got plan from RAFM for Smith's Lawn. One thing I couldn't spot was the Vickers assembly shed for Wellington's. I believe the site was codenamed VAX1 or something similar.
    Anyone have a location for the shed and its size/type?

Peter

Default Re: Smith's Lawn

Vickers erected two hangars, the "Top" and "Bottom" hangars, in the area which slopes down from the south east corner of the landing ground, to the south of Obelisk Pond. The hangars were generally similar in size to a T2. Parts and materials were brought in by road from the main factory at Weybridge and the site was accessed from Wick Lane, off the main A30.
    The site was constructed in 1940/41 as an outbased extension to the Weybridge factory and was known as VAX1 - Vickers Armstrongs extension no.1. Following the heavy raid on Weybridge in September 1940, it was initially set up as a secondary production line to relieve the main factory there, whilst Byley (near Cranage) did the same thing for the Chester plant and Stanley Park for Squires Gate.
    Smiths Lawn is notable for the fact that most of the pressurised Wellington VI's were erected here. Subsequently, much work was done on modifying Warwicks for ASR duties.
    The area used all lies within Windsor Great Park and was offered for use by the Royal Family.
    All buildings were demolished after the war and the site has since returned to nature.

Thanks Mike Squared. I have on my wall in front of me the 1955 plan but it only has two blisters in the SE corner. Would the Vickers hangars have been removed by then? However there are two rectangular shapes south of the pond but they don't look like hangars. One is labelled "Flying barn".

Cheers

Peter

I somehow missed Peter's note dated May 03 2008, but I suppose that a late reply is better than nothing! The two blisters in the SE corner were erected for use by Tiger Moths detached here on a daily basis from 18 EFTS at Fairoaks. The two Vickers hangars were removed soon after the end of the war as had been agreed when they were erected. The "Flying Barn" was a curiously named pre-war building at the eastern edge of Smiths Lawn but apparently had nothing whatsoever to do with flying.

Not a problem. I am still curious as to where they were located. There seems to be no sign of them on the 1940's aerial on the UKAerialphotos website so as you say they were removed PDQ after the war (Like Windermere). The Flying Barn is pre powered flight and is actually 19th C according to the maps.
    Maybe I should write to Prince Phillip as he was instrumental in turning it from airfield to polo field?

Didnt he learn to fly at Smiths lawn?

I don't know, it would make sense though, especially with the old chalet just up the road.

You won't find much there now as an ex Windsor resident the Great Park was my place to walk.

Thread Information