Vickers erected two hangars, the "Top" and "Bottom" hangars, in the area which slopes down from the south east corner of the landing ground, to the south of Obelisk Pond. The hangars were generally similar in size to a T2. Parts and materials were brought in by road from the main factory at Weybridge and the site was accessed from Wick Lane, off the main A30.
The site was constructed in 1940/41 as an outbased extension to the Weybridge factory and was known as VAX1 - Vickers Armstrongs extension no.1. Following the heavy raid on Weybridge in September 1940, it was initially set up as a secondary production line to relieve the main factory there, whilst Byley (near Cranage) did the same thing for the Chester plant and Stanley Park for Squires Gate.
Smiths Lawn is notable for the fact that most of the pressurised Wellington VI's were erected here. Subsequently, much work was done on modifying Warwicks for ASR duties.
The area used all lies within Windsor Great Park and was offered for use by the Royal Family.
All buildings were demolished after the war and the site has since returned to nature.